forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
luthergravy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Latency

Hello,

Hope someone can help expand my understanding a bit!

We've had ongoing issues with our connection here. Constantly dropping out and causing buffering, though sometimes running OK. The signal is patchy around the house, too.

I think it's partly down to the crappy Hub3 not being able to deliver a reliable signal around the house, so I was considering investing in a mesh setup.

But I've also noticed when running speed tests that lately we seem to get high latency readings, usually between 50 and 100. This seems to be regardless of the download/upload speed recorded or whether I'm connected via Ethernet or WiFi. I guess this might explain why it constantly feels like our connection is stalling before getting going again. It makes Teams calls and the like almost impossible at the moment.

I noticed on the local FB group for our estate that there are loads of people moaning about their Virgin broadband along similar lines, so I wonder whether this is just too many people working/schooling from home and overloading the local system. I suppose it would make sense as our connections have gone down the toilet over the last 3 months or so, co-inciding with an increase in home working and schooling (though things seemed to work fine through last spring's lockdown).

Is there any way to confirm that this is the cause?

I just don't want to spend almost £200 on some lovely new mesh bits and pieces if it's going to make no difference to anything 🙂

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency

you can set up a BQM and graph the traffic over a couple of days - usually quite easy to spot over utilisation.. 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where are you measuring this latency?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
luthergravy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both,

I did set up a BQM but just looked and it's a big sea of red, which I think means I need to change a router setting somewhere, doesn't it?

I'm running speed tests on the ThinkBroadband site and getting the latency result from there. I'm using different devices, different connections etc, so getting big differences in speeds but always seemingly getting higher latency numbers.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@luthergravy wrote:

Thanks both,

I did set up a BQM but just looked and it's a big sea of red, which I think means I need to change a router setting somewhere, doesn't it?

I'm running speed tests on the ThinkBroadband site and getting the latency result from there. I'm using different devices, different connections etc, so getting big differences in speeds but always seemingly getting higher latency numbers.

yeah so you will need to  log into the hub and find the security settings / firewall settings - make sure that the box called ICMP or Ping is set to allow. 

luthergravy
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Can't find any ICMP or Allow Ping setting anywhere. The Ping setting page doesn't have any options on it and it ain't on the security/firewall pages either. Off to Google!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@luthergravy wrote:

Thanks. Can't find any ICMP or Allow Ping setting anywhere. The Ping setting page doesn't have any options on it and it ain't on the security/firewall pages either. Off to Google!

Or you have the wrong WAN IP entered.

Did you set the BQM up when connected to a VPN by chance?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
luthergravy
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yup, thanks Gary, bang on. What a prat. Sorted now, BQM set up, will see what it says tomorrow.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you post the live share to the BQM 

luthergravy
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here's the link. Doesn't seem to have been running too bad this afternoon, predictably 🙂 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d451f44f63976be16e9ba3430d16f2e480...

0 Kudos