Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Latency spikes on the hour

I’ve recently noticed spikes in latency occurring every hour, on the hour exactly. Looking back at the daily graphs I see it started at 03.00 on 14/10/20 following a disconnection at just after 02.00. I’ve confirmed that is isn’t due to Wi-Fi traffic and the spikes still occur when all wired connections to the hub (3) are removed. The regular nature of the spikes suggest it is a wider network issue (possibly status monitoring?) but I’ve never seen this before. It doesn’t appear to be causing any problems (I don’t play games), but I have had the hub lose connection a little more frequently recently. Router status figures always look good, and the network log doesn’t appear to show anything relevant.

vm hourly peaks.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Adrian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency spikes on the hour

Can you post a link to your live graph please 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. I have the same issue but with a Hub4 and Gig1.

What hub and speed package are you on?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah. I'm using a Hub 3 with the M50 package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality-monitor

Suggests that...

My graph has lots of very regularly spaced yellow spikes on it! What is wrong with my connection?

Some broadband routers exhibit patterns of behaviour. This is often because ICMP is handled at a lower priority than other traffic, so if a router does some form of housekeeping at regular intervals you can see patterns not unlike the graph below:

*graph*

BQM graph showing router-induced tooth-comb latency pattern

This graph is from a Be/O2 connection, and is most likely using a Thomson 585 router. There is nothing wrong, and the spikes do not affect gaming. In this graph the extra yellow spikes between 3pm and midnight, probably mean the connection was actually being used

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK. But still, it's an interesting thing to see from someone on a different hub/package..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Regular on the hour, every hour pings are more likely to be something else though...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good point Gary, is there a device on the connection set to do something (perhaps unbeknown to you) at regular intervals?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
Good point Gary, is there a device on the connection set to do something (perhaps unbeknown to you) at regular intervals?

Me personally, (and without hijacking this thread from OP 😊), no, I disconnected all devices from mine one day, wired and wireless, and it still occured.

0 Kudos