Menu
KJT123
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Laptops keep losing WiFi connection every few mins

On M100 broadband with a superhub 3.

The Internet throughout the day is unusable for working from home. Both laptops keep disconnecting from the WiFi every few minutes. Disconnecting from the WiFi and then reconnecting sorts the issue out, but then it will happen again very shortly after. 

There are no error messages on the hub, we have tried using it in modern mode with an external router but that was even worse.

Relatedly, the issue appears to get worse when both laptops are connected to work VPNs and on video calls.

I have looked at the upstream/downstream figures for the router and everything appears to be normal. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laptops keep losing WiFi connection every few mins

@KJT123 wrote:

On M100 broadband with a superhub 3.

The Internet throughout the day is unusable for working from home. Both laptops keep disconnecting from the WiFi every few minutes. Disconnecting from the WiFi and then reconnecting sorts the issue out, but then it will happen again very shortly after. 

There are no error messages on the hub, we have tried using it in modern mode with an external router but that was even worse.

Relatedly, the issue appears to get worse when both laptops are connected to work VPNs and on video calls.

I have looked at the upstream/downstream figures for the router and everything appears to be normal. 

Create a BQM and post the live link.

It could be congestion (Oversubscription/utilization) in the local area.

0 Kudos
KJT123
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0431692255b14789b2c875a1a22e22a05e...

I think the Red bit was due to me resetting the router/trying a new external router.

0 Kudos
KJT123
Joining in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0431692255b14789b2c875a1a22e22a05e...

BQM graph

the red bits coincide with router resets and changing over to an external router with hub in modem mode

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@KJT123 wrote:

BQM graph

the red bits coincide with router resets and changing over to an external router with hub in modem mode

BQM looks perfect really:

carl_pearce_0-1611761601000.png

All I can suggest is the HUB is at fault (The line looks ok).

0 Kudos
KJT123
Joining in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl,

Is there anything I can do? Or does it require an engineer?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@KJT123 wrote:

Thanks Carl,

Could you try a wired connection for a day to see if it improves?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@KJT123 wrote:

Thanks Carl,

Nothing wrong with the BQM, per @carl_pearce response.

You could try to split the wifi bands and disable channel optimisation - if neither of these things improve the situation though, the next recommendation is going to be to buy your own wifi kit.

to modify the settings for wifi, log into your hub and navigate to advanced->wireless, give the SSID's a different name and hunt around for smart wifi to disable channel optimisation. 

0 Kudos
KJT123
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, I have done the channel optimisation and split 2.4ghz and 5ghz, that was one of the first things I did. 

What do you mean my own WiFi kit? 

I have tried putting it in modem mode and using an external router but it didn't make any difference. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

What external router did you try and how did you connect it and set it up?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos