Menu
sufy
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Laptop wifi intermittent issues

Hi,

My laptop is a Dell inspiron and my wifi works when i'm very close to the super hub 3.0 but when i go upstairs it starts to get slow and the connection times out and i get error messages saying 'connection got interrupted' 

Why is this happening and can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Laptop wifi intermittent issues

Because the strength of the wireless signal weakens the further away from the Hub you get, especially in the vertical direction as wireless propagates in a horizontal direction (Think doughnut).

The wireless signal can be further degraded by interference from neighbouring wireless networks and domestic appliances.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the number of simultaneous connections, the Topography of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, as it is less prone to interference but does have a shorter range.

I would first scan for interference bearing in mind the non 802.11 devices mentioned above.
Once you are confident you are using the best available wireless channel I would scan for range, keeping an eye on the signal strength at various locations.
You are looking for a minimum  signal strength of -67dBm or -54dBm for wireless AC devices.

In areas where the signal strength is low, you will need additional hardware to provide a decent signal.
You have a few options.
1) Get a decent third party Access Point or Router with AP mode (depending on cost) situating it upstairs and hard wiring it back to the Hub
   This is the most robust method
2) Get a decent third party router and put the Hub into modem mode.
   Pros...Will give a better overall coverage than the Hub and will give you far more features like QoS Parental Controls, DDNS (dependent on Router)
   Cons... May not cover the whole Home without additional APs depending on the many variables mentioned above.
3) Powerline adapters

Pros... Convenient
Cons...  Affected by noise on your electrical mains, achievable speeds about 15 - 25% of Advertised, may not work across electrical mains with certain older consumer boards.

0 Kudos