cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop no longer working. Please help.

Myfairlady
Tuning in

Can a virgin engineer please help. 
I can’t call the help centre again, they aren’t helping me. 
After years with no problem, I suddenly can’t use my work laptop unless I hotspot off my phone. BQM monitor doesn’t work, just solid red. I e read to disable my firewall (I have a hub 3), but I really don’t want to do that. 
I’m dropping off work calls, I’m going to lose my job. It works at my friends house, Costa, everywhere but at home. 

please please please can someone help me. I’m stressing so much. 

15 REPLIES 15

Myfairlady
Tuning in

Can a virgin engineer please help? Ethernet connection isn't working either! Laptop only works when hotspotting off my phone. 

Client62
Legend

The laptop has the classic symptoms of MAC Address Filtering  or Wi-Fi Pausing

Disable MAC filtering to re-enable Paused devices

Login to the Hub's menus at http://192.168.0.1

1) Advanced settings >>> Wireless >>> Security

1.1) then set Wireless MAC Filtering to Disabled

1.2) "Apply changes"

2) Advanced settings >>> Security >>> MAC Filtering

2.1) then delete all entries in the MAC filter list

2.2 Enable Always on

2.3) "Apply changes"

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re.  BQM -  check if your current ip address is the one in the BQM settings - they can and do change - so the BQM goes red.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Client62, thank you for your response. Wireless MAC filtering is already disabled....should I go through and delete the devices from the list and then leave MAC filtering allowed? Really appreciate your help. 

Hi John, The BQM is constantly red. I tried to set one up on my phone too. I read on here that the HUB3 shows red unless you disable the firewall (which I'm not sure if I should do)? 

Client62
Legend

Yes delete / disable all MAC Filtering this is a very common cause of kit being blocked from the HUB.

Sadly after changing it and restarting/powering off, its not worked 😞

I'm at a loss here.....

Client62
Legend

Just to be sure, you have disabled all MAC filtering with the HUB menus ?

The reason I ask is the VM Connect app can also do a similar job and it is an utter menace for failing to display all the blocked devices making it quite lethal to customers who can not see a blocked device and can not re-enable it.

Client62
Legend

The BQM monitor needs to point the Public IP of your connection you can check that here

https://whatismyipaddress.com/      Note the ISP should read : Virgin Media Limited.

For a Hub 3 in Router mode use these Firewall settings :

Client62_0-1696522377310.png