Menu
dsyrus
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Lan not working after Upgrade to 1GB

hi - just upgraded to the 1gb broadband v2 modem...wifi is working, ethernet works if i plug directly into the modem with the ethernet cable supplied....home LAN is not working..house was rewired ~5 years ago with ethernet cabling/ports in each room....assume cables are cat 5e but not certain...is this likely to be an issue with the cables themselves ? (sincerely hope not) 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lan not working after Upgrade to 1GB

@dsyrus wrote:

hi - just upgraded to the 1gb broadband v2 modem...wifi is working, ethernet works if i plug directly into the modem with the ethernet cable supplied....home LAN is not working..house was rewired ~5 years ago with ethernet cabling/ports in each room....assume cables are cat 5e but not certain...is this likely to be an issue with the cables themselves ? (sincerely hope not) 

seems unlikely... do you terminate all of those connections on a switch, or directly into the hub? do you have a switch that you can terminate them on to see if they're all working?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

... and take a look at the cables to see if they are Cat5e or old Cat5 ones

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dsyrus
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hi tehwolf....all the cables link back to a small TPLink switch in a closet...also the cabling seems to be Cat 6 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@dsyrus wrote:

hi tehwolf....all the cables link back to a small TPLink switch in a closet...also the cabling seems to be Cat 6 

ok - and presumably you have link lights on the switch for everything connecting into it? (i.e. the cables are fine)..

so the link between the hub and the TP-Link.. how long is that run, and do you get link lights on that port when you connect the cable?

0 Kudos
dsyrus
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cable run must be quite long as goes up into attic and then back down on opposite side of house....

the lights seem to be on - some less brightly than others

some of the devices connected to LAN seem to be recognising a network but not able to connect

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

And one of those link lights is the connection to the hub, right?

On the connected devices page of the hub 4, can you see what the hub thinks about the connection to the switch? I.e what speed has it negotiated on the port that connects to the switch..

0 Kudos
dsyrus
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don’t see it listed in my Ethernet connected devices list...only see devices are Apple TV and the virgin box both of which are in the same room and connected directly to router not via network 

Could the tplink be the issue?

trying another Ethernet port and its intermittently flickering an Orange light

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do you have a laptop or something that you can connect to the cable at the hub end? See if it brings the link up to the switch...

ive read posts around here that the hub doesn’t like long ethernet runs. I have no idea if it’s true or not but it’s worth testing the cable with a device other than the hub.

dsyrus
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I swapped the port for the network cable and unplugged/plugged back in various devices....now it's working....no idea if I fixed it or not...

Thankyou so much for you help - I really appreciate it 🙂

0 Kudos