Menu
bobbins11
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Lag whilst gaming on 2.4GHz band but not 5GHz

Hi,

For the past few weeks, gaming wirelessly (on PS4 and PS5) on the 2.4GHz band has been near impossible due to constant lag, high ping and connection dropouts. Distance from the router makes no difference, as the PS4 is in the same room and only about 15ft away, whilst the PS5 is about 25ft away in another room. Using the 5GHz band has no connection issues, except the signal isn't consistently strong enough to use in the room with the PS5. I've always used the 2.4 band for gaming and haven't had any problems until the past 3 weeks or so, but nothing has changed in our house in this time.

I'm using the Superhub 3. Download and upload speeds are both fine. I've tried the standard rebooting of the router and checking cable connections. I've also tried changing the channel between 1, 6 and 11 but they all have the same issue. I've also assigned the PS4 and PS5 their own reserved IP addresses. The below is the BQM from the past 24 hours.

bobbins11_0-1618337141835.png

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to try?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag whilst gaming on 2.4GHz band but not 5GHz

Hi there bobbins11,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the community. 

I'm sorry to hear that the PlayStation consoles are having issues on the 2.4Ghz band. As a lot of devices tend to connect automatically on that band it's likely it is congested which could be causing the issues you are having. 

It may be worth trying to move as many devices as possible over to the 5Ghz band, taking in to account the limitations, this should free up the 2.4Ghz and allow a better connection. 

I have checked the Hub over and all your stats are looking good so there is nothing to worry about there.

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos