cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag spikes how to fix?

user979420
Tuning in

Hi

Past couple of weeks I've been getting bad lag spikes on my VM home broadband and my housemate has reported the same issue, where the internet completely freezes up for 5-30 seconds meaning we are getting frequent lag on streams, gaming etc. Both our computers are wired into the hub so it's not a wi-fi issue.

I have included a BQM here if it is useful, could anybody advise on how to fix this please?

Untitled3.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

Hi

After getting the same lag/delays on the VM broadband last night I plugged my phone into my PC and used the 4G internet instead and had no issues at all for several hours online so I'm fairly certain the issue is with the VM connection or hub.

Here is the link you asked for:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6d25bbd385cd597252cf97bb2062ef0f84...

Hi user979420,

Thanks for the link. There will always be some latency on your BQM; the graph is looking very stable apart from the disconnection logged just after 2pm. However could this be from when the Hub was rebooted?

Are you experiencing issues across wired devices too?

Everything on this end is within the normal parameters and your BQM looks fine, so I am struggling to locate an issue on the network.

Thank you

Beth

Yes both PCs are wired in after having separate issues with wi fi dropping out. My contract is up for renewal next month so if I can't get this issue fixed I'll be looking to leave VM as the connection isn't fit for purpose right now. I'm using my 4g again today and it's been flawless so there is definitely an issue somewhere with the VM service.

Hi user979420,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way and I can appreciate the frustrations with this, we're doing our best to try and get to the bottom of it.

Just to clarify, after having wired in your PCs, are you still experiencing the issues?

Beth

Yes it happens several times per hour where the connection lags/freezes up and nothing will work for about 5-30seconds only when I'm on VM internet it doesn't happen on my o2 4g connection

Hi user979420,

Thank you. I appreciate you said that you're sure that all the cables are secure, however I would advise to please just check that they are 'finger tight' as any lose connections can cause signal imbalances and have a negative effect on the connection. Your live BQM is still showing very stable and no disconnections logged, so this would indicate an issue possibly located in the property.

Beth

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Beth_G wrote:

Your live BQM is still showing very stable and no disconnections logged, so this would indicate an issue possibly located in the property.

Means nothing when BQM goes to hub and your not testing Ethernet/wifi with the router mode doing NAT. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the cables are and have been plugged in correctly. I've been using my 4g since monday instead which works perfectly all day and night without lag spikes, have just swapped back to using my VM and it's just as bad as it was with frequent lag still.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Put hub in modem mode with a PC and see what its like

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for confirming this.

I have taken a look and everything is look normal on our side with some good levels.

How has it been over night? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?