Menu
Crisw
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Lack of power

New customer and supposed to be on some kind of Ooommphh package for broadband, but the signal barely managers to get upstairs and not fast enough for a PlayStation 4. Anyone else having problems? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lack of power

The bundle name has nothing to do with your wifi signal strength.

If you're getting full speeds when wired direct to the hub then you're getting your contractual speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I assume you are trying to connect via WiFi, try using a cabled connection instead.

Alternatively, you could inquire about a WiFi booster.

0 Kudos
Crisw
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes, trying via WiFi. The router is downstairs and I work from home upstairs, so I don’t think a cabled option is viable. The PlayStation is also upstairs. I really don’t think I should be forking out for a booster when I’m paying as much as I am for the wifi  . 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Crisw wrote:

Yes, trying via WiFi. The router is downstairs and I work from home upstairs, so I don’t think a cabled option is viable. The PlayStation is also upstairs. I really don’t think I should be forking out for a booster when I’m paying as much as I am for the wifi  . 

You're not paying for Wifi though - Virgin supply a cabled connection to your property.

Per your contract, Wifi speeds and connectivity are not guaranteed, only wired speeds are.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Crisw
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Fair point. Is it possible to get a wired connection to go upstairs as well as down? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You can run some ethernet cabling yourself yes.

This isn't something an ISP would do for you.

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi @chrisw

Welcome to our Community Help Forums 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the slow speeds you are experiencing upstairs. I am sorry to hear you are struggling to get signal upstairs, I understand how frustrating this must be.

Are you able to connect directly to the hub via an ethernet cable? If you run a speed test from a wired connection, this will tell you the speed we are sending down to you 🙂

Please do let us know,

Thanks

Serena

0 Kudos
Crisw
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the suggestion of plugging directly into the hub. 
not sure what I am supposed to plugging in though? 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

We would advise to connect your devices in the home via ethernet wherever possible. Not all devices will have an ethernet port, however. This wouldn't include devices such as phones or tablets - devices like PCs, TVs and consoles would usually have an ethernet port. You'd just need to connect one end of your ethernet cable to your device, and the other end into the back of your hub.

Let us know if you do still need any help 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos