Menu
Spideycent
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LAN using ethernet

Can someone help me please.  My house is prewired for a LAN network with access points in each room - can I just use an ethernet from the hub and plug it into the access point and then use an ethernet cable in another room to get the signal?

Sorry my tech understanding is somewhat limited on this sort of thing.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: LAN using ethernet

If it has been done properly yes.  And you're unlikely to damage any equipment by trying.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Spideycent
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I should have said I have done this but can't now find the feed on my laptop?? It still reverts to wifi.  ??

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Normally Windows networking defaults to preferring ethernet over wireless if both are available. Try connecting the laptop directly to the hub and see what happens - might take a few minutes to register the ethernet connection and use that.  If need be, turn off the laptop's wifi, restart the laptop, and that should confirm the laptop works with ethernet.  Then unplug it, move it to the desired point on the household network, plug it in, if it doesn't sort itself out in a couple of minutes do another restart (sorry!) and see if that works, assuming the hub is still connected to a household ethernet socket.  If at that point it still isn't working, we would know the hub is working, the laptop ethernet is working, and the finger of suspicion points at the built in ethernet.  Built in ethernet is great, but if it wasn't properly installed, or at some point it has been damaged or disconnected, fault finding can be a pain. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Spideycent wrote:

I should have said I have done this but can't now find the feed on my laptop?? It still reverts to wifi.  ??

You need to find the switch that all ethernet points are connected to.  It may not be switched on ?

Spideycent
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much, I will give that a go. 🙂

0 Kudos