cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep losing WiFi / connection to router

batesonmark
Tuning in

Hello everyone

Hoping some of you lovely people will be able to help me. We were a customer with Sky and moved to Virgin for the fibre internet and better speeds due to homeworking and kids constantly being on internet-enabled devices.

Joined Virgin in May and been having some intermittent problems with connection or WiFi, not 100% sure.

I am regularly dropping calls whilst working, Xbox is lagging constantly, Netflix is constantly buffering during episodes.

I have regularly done speed tests and they don't show any issues I have also done a BQM which is here but not sure if this really shows any issues.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

21 REPLIES 21

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
BQM showing a few issues just as a check....

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Would also help if you could do this.

Although its a new install - you never know! So first do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then, Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi batesonmark, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your connection dropping out. 

Taking a look at your account, it looks as though you are having a prolonged signal issue. I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @batesonmark

Thanks so much for coming back to me via private message. Don't worry about the delay, it happens 🙂

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders.

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Amazing, thank you.

I shall let you know how we get on.

No worries at all batesonmark 🙂

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hello all

Just wanted to give an update. A month since an engineer came out (amazing thank you). I was working so the missus showed them where the router is and they started looking at the router etc...

Based on the report I got it said the engineer found there was an intermittent issue and to resolve this they have removed my signal filter.

Next few days everything worked a lot better, with very little buffering or issues with working using Zoom calls etc...

However the last couple of days it has been really bad, with lots of dropouts, connection failing. My work laptop is still connected to the router but having no internet access.

Here is the BQM for today

Could someone please help me further? What are the next steps to getting it resolved?

Many thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up the Hub stats as asked for in message 2. BQM looks ok except - there is a red wall between ~8pm and 3am last night - were you switched off then?

Also are you having the issues on ethernet connections as well as on wifi ones?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Jon

Just trying to get the information from the router now.

All my connections are wireless with the exception of 1.

Nope didn't turn anything off yesterday

Thanks

Mark

Item Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State