Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep losing 5g, and poor range when working

Just spoke to Virgin Media “technical support” and the lady on the phone didn’t want to listen and just kept telling me I was moving too far away from the hub.

I live in a small bungalow where it takes me no more than 15-20 seconds to walk in the front door, enter every room and back out the front door again.

Theres no way I’m moving too far from the router in a bungalow this size. 

As someone who works in IT, I know when a component isn’t working correctly. Either my hub 3.0 has suddenly developed a fault or it’s a problem with the new firmware/software that has been installed. 

Can someone from Virgin please advise!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@DeeDay wrote:

Just spoke to Virgin Media “technical support” and the lady on the phone didn’t want to listen and just kept telling me I was moving too far away from the hub.

I live in a small bungalow where it takes me no more than 15-20 seconds to walk in the front door, enter every room and back out the front door again.

As someone who works in IT, I know when a component isn’t working correctly. Either my hub 3.0 has suddenly developed a fault or it’s a problem with the new firmware/software that has been installed. 

afaik there has been no updates to the hub3 firmware - as to a faulty hub - maybe or maybe the wifi environment has changed around you - thats a more likely reason - as to offshore support - they have no idea - if its not on their script they either make something up or hang up

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DeeDay wrote:

If you are working in IT then you should know the importance of clear diagnostics and testing.
So, hijacking someone else's thread just adds confusion as two problems are rarely the same even if they exhibit the same symptoms. Every wireless environment is unique, so always best to start your own thread to get the best response as small details can matter.

The OP is complaining about poor wireless in the garden, this could be caused by the wireless signal passing through an external wall which can cause major wireless attenuation due to their thickness and any cavity wall insulation present. (Foil backed insulation will kill a wireless signal stone dead)

VM offshore support have no idea of your wireless environment from their remote position so will not be able to give specific advise and will only be able to give generic advise with the huge proviso if they have a basic understanding how wireless works.

How do you know it is a faulty Hub?
How have you tested your theory?

There are many factors apart from distance that can affect wireless range, obstacles like walls just being one of many.
Have you done a site survey of your bungalow, testing the wireless signal strength from the Hub?
Have you checked your firmware version?

It is not all about the Hub, your wireless client's signal needs to reach the Hub as well.

If the Hub senses a wireless device transmitting on the same channel however weak the signal.so your devices will have to wait until the channel is clear before transmitting which can slow down your network and cause dropouts is extreme cases.

There can be a glitch in the SH2s causing poor 5GHz wireless. A Factory Reset of the Hub usually resolves this.

With the Hub3s I would start diagnosis by turning off Smart WiFi and separating the bands as advised

It would also be worth checking the internet connection with a PC connected directly to the Hub.

You can then do a site survey with a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyser  for Android starting at 1m away from the Hub where you should get a wireless signal of around -20 to -23dBm, this will prove the Hub.

You can the scan around the home being mindful of things that can affect your wireless signal like obstacles and interference, not only from neighbouring networks but domestic gadgets as well.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Separated the bands, with only the 2 tablets connected to the 5Ghz which didn’t help. 

Followed the guidance of tech support to turn on 20/40/80 which didn’t help. 

No new devices in house and neither immediate neighbour has internet. 

Turns out that one of the guys that I work with is now having exactly the same problem as me and he lives at the opposite side of the city. 

Obviously something has changed with the hub 3.0 that hasn’t been made public. A quick internet search seems to suggest this is a widespread problem with 5Ghz WiFi on hub 3.0.

Going to buy a separate router and just put the hub into modem mode 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That may well work, but you shouldn't need to do it. Affects hub2 as well. I now put up with 2g unless I'm on top of the router - pretty much in the same room

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear Dave.. do you have the Hub3 - it's just that you mention SH2 above. If you are still on the SH2 you can get a free upgrade to the Hub3 that might solve the issue. Or, like I have, you could put the SH2 into modem mode and get your own better quality router - or just add a wifi access point/booster.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I know I shouldn’t have to Dave but I didn’t have much choice in the end considering I need a decent connection to work from home.

I put the SH3 into modem mode and connected my newly bought TP Link AC1750 this morning and low and behold I now have a working 5GHz connection throughout the bungalow. 

Nothing wrong with the SH3 wireless capabilities though according to Virgin!

0 Kudos