Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Keep losing 5g, and poor range when working

As stated - 5g keeps dropping out completely,  and range is poor when working - I've ended up using up my mobile data allowance just through being in the garden (we live in a small bungalow and previously had no problems with wifi anywhere in the garden).  Any suggestions? Router has been reset with no appreciable difference 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep losing 5g, and poor range when working

5GHz range is a lot less than 2.4GHz, consider

moving the hub to a better location

using some boosters

At any bigger distance 2.4GHz should be faster and you are probably better off using that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate that 5g has less range, but 30ft? Not had the issue before.

And there's still the issue of it dropping 5g completely. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Is it only 5Ghz that drops, what about 2.4Ghz and Ethernet cabled devices?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I’m having exactly the same problem as you on my Superhub 3. 5GHz WiFi connections keep dropping out once I leave the living room and I only live in a small bungalow too. 2.4GHz and wired connections fine. This has only started happening over the last few weeks.

has the firmware on the hub been updated by any chance to cause this issue?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I wondered if there was a recent update that caused the poor wifi, my wired connections are okay but the 2.5 and 5g connections are now completely rubbish. Tried different channels and a factory reset but even a few metres from the hub 3 and connections drop. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Have just walked in the house  - 2g found and connected to - 5g not visible.  That's a distance of 15ft.  I can see the next door neighbour's network though!  Surely this must point to a faulty router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

a factory reset will have changed things possibly - it will have joined the 2 bands and turned on smart wifi - you need to log in and split the bands and turn off smart wifi - that should improve things

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@DaveOliver wrote:

Have just walked in the house  - 2g found and connected to - 5g not visible.  That's a distance of 15ft.  I can see the next door neighbour's network though!  Surely this must point to a faulty router?

or it may be that next doors router is killing the signal from the hub3 - you need to look at what channels you are using and choose one thats not busy

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Neither of the houses next to me have internet. The only signals around are from neighbours further down and the signal is really weak. 

Can someone from Virgin please look into this and let us know whether there’s been any updates to the superhub 3 that’s caused this as it’s a new problem in the last few weeks!

0 Kudos