cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep having to restart Hub 4 to maintain connection speed?

Ripp
Up to speed

I've had the Hub 4 for a month or two with the 1Gig package and I've noticed my speed keeps dropping to about 500-700Mbps every few days and the only way to fix it is to go the Hub Settings/Admin/Reload & Reboot/Reboot Hub As soon as I do that the connection speed goes right back to 930ish Mbps. After doing so I also have to go back and reset my Wifi network names as the Reboot Hub resets them back to default.

It has nothing to do with other devices using bandwidth and the tests are done on a desktop PC with a wired conection using a Cat6 cable. 

My previous Hub 3 had no such issues, with the M500 package I always got 555Mpbs and never had to reboot the hub.

Is it normal for me to be having to manually reboot the Hub 4 every few days in order to maintain my connection speed?

14 REPLIES 14

Ok so my WiFi is 7Mbps today (struggling to watch a YouTube video as it keeps stopping and buffering) and this is in the same room as the Hub4

Wired is 250Mbps

This on a 1Gig package...

If this can't be fixed can I request a return to my old M500 package and a Hub3 as that never gave me any issues. 

Wired connection issues aside. I have quite a big problem with the WiFi on the replacement Hub4, sat in the same room as it and devices barely stay connected to the 5G network, they are very slow and constantly just drop off and connect to the 2.4G connection. 

Should I be requesting a switch back to Hub3 and slower package? Buying an aftermarket router and trying tye Hub4 in modem mode? Or requesting another engineer visit?

The wired connection is a quarter of what it should be (and was initially for a few weeks), the 2.4G connection is 7-50Mbps and the 5G connection is so bad devices wont stay connected to it and half the time can't even see it so can't even attempt to connect to it!!!!

I've now ordered a 3rd party router to try the Hub4 in modem mode. Will report back once I've either fixed it or ruled it out. 

Devices can't even detect the 5G network when they are in the same room as the Hub4 which is ridiculous surely?! I've never had a router where the signal was so weak that devices can't even see it. 

I guess if a 3rd party router doesn't fix my separate wired and wireless issues t'll be back to slower package and Hub3 or ditching VM altogether and going with another provider.

I may have fixed this by installing a 3rd party router which has cost me £100 (not happy about that tbh)

Hub 4 in Modem Mode with an ASUS RT-AX55 Router and instantly got 930Mbps (wired) and decent WiFi (2.4Ghz and 5GHz) all around my house.

So my current conclusion is that my current Hub 4's 2.4Ghz WiFi is OK (not great but OK) and its 5G WiFi is completely broken (At best 7Mbps in the same room and at worst so weak that devices can't even see it and when they do they consantly drop off of it and back on to the 2.4Ghz network). 

IF the wired connection stays solid at 900+Mbps and doesn't drop off to 200Mbps after a day like it does with the Hub4 then the only conlusion is the Hub4 is dramatically slowing down the wired connection speed to 1/4 of what it should be for absolutely no reason whatsoever and no one seems to know why. If that's the case how can a piece of equipent that's sole purpose is to provide a fast connection end up slowing it down to 1/4 of what it should be?

Marking this as solved for now but will check the speed every day and report back if it drops off again.