Menu
mrm1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Keep having to reboot modem Hub 2

I keep having to reboot my Superhub 2 every 2 to 3 days, as it looses internet connection. I have tried rebooting, powering down, and resetting the hub, but after a few days, the hub disconnects again.

I have tried speaking to customer service, but the just make me do the same reboots, resets, and then it works again, but after a few days, the hub will loose connection again.

Is there anything else I can do, as I know if I speak to CS again, I will just end up doing the same checks again, reconnecting, then loosing connection again in a few days time.

Wifi seems fine and connects, but just no internet connection.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep having to reboot modem Hub 2

Hello

Can you please post your network stats from the hub

Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1

Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.

Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.

As your on a superhub 2 you can also order a new hub yourself https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
mrm1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I will do this once I get home. I did just look at ordering the new hub, but bottled out at the end as the summary shown a price of £25.00 more per month than I am currently paying. I am not prepaired to pay the extra to get my services running smoothly again.

I will post the details requested either tonight or tomorrow when I am home.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you getting any error messages along the lines of "wrong password" or "insecure connection" or "WPS" ? The SH2 is known to have a fault where it sometimes drops its security function from WPA to WPS and so it drops out. Its a known fault. You should be able to upgrade to the SH3 for free if its faulty - after all you just rent the service. Any extra monthly cost being quoted is assuming you are upgrading (not replacing a faulty Hub) and so that starts a new contract and you may lose any discounts you had.

In any case there is a free upgrade/replacement scheme running - see the link below. If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here and a VM mod will pick this thread up in a few days and see if they can sort you out.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
mrm1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I actually have no issue with wifi. Wifi connects without any issues. Its the connection itself. Thanks for the additional information though. I would be happy to keep the hub I have been using for the last few years, if the connection was still as solid as it used to be.

I normally use the hub in modem mode through an Asus RT-AC68U but to double check the issue wasnt there, I reset the hub, and started to use that instead. but after a few days, the connection bombed out again. Rebooting the hub seems to be the only thing to get the connection up again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrm1,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the connection issues. I've ran a check in the area and there are no current issues. You do have an older router however, which we can replace free of charge to our hub 3 if you wish to do so. If you do, please let me know and we can proceed via PM.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ahh - ok I misread your post! Then some fault in the connection is more likely. Post up the data that DJ suggests and someone will check it.
Also, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the logs and in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
mrm1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS

Yes, I would be interested if this will help, as long as it is not going to incure me any extra charges.

0 Kudos
mrm1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jbrennand
Some useful advise re the "Broadband Quality Monitor" for future issues
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me mrm1, I'll go ahead and send you a PM now to get the ball rolling.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"