cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined Monday poor signal half the house

Joe_dbro
Just joined

Only just joined Virgin as of Monday. Already signal for broadband losing connection in living room. 
muse Connect App says office where hub is great signal, all other rooms Poor

Have optimised but no improvement. 

3 REPLIES 3

lotharmat
Community elder
As with all broadband providers, I'd get my own router! - Much more configurable and plenty better performance!

The VM Hubs are decent modems but lousy routers!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it is a wifi only issue, do ethernet cable connected devices have issues? Then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them to everyone now so there is a wait list.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Joe_dbro

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear you've been having some signal issues with your new service, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Is this a Wi-Fi only issue? Or do you find you have issues with wired connections too? 

Have you tried splitting the frequencies as @jbrennand helpfully suggested? 

Let us know 🙂 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide