Menu
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Jan 2021 - Add new VM Booster

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 350 mbps to 500 mbps as my contract renewed and I got a lower price.  I never truly got 350 originally or anything like it, and don't expect (but do want) 500..., but the key issue is for kids getting bandwidth for on-line learning.

After activation I got some Ookla speed tests of 350 mbps for a couple of hours but nothing remotely since then - in the <75 range download.

That said I live in a house with brick walls and some beams from an extension, so ethernet had always been the solution (Devolo).

I have a Hub 3.0 with a booster plugged into it and another booster upstairs for my daughter as wifi is truly appalling - actually worse than when I had Devolo!

Questions:

- I have a booster still attached to the Hub - does it need to stay there or can it be used the same was as the other hub upstairs, i.e. placed elsewhere or does it need the Hub ethernet attached to it all of the time, ergo stay next to the hub?  (Why bother???)

- I just want to make things easy for the kids and so ethernet is really the only route I can go (I think) and that comes through the booster in their room with the ethernet socket at the base of the booster; 

- Can I still use Devolo, etc. boosters - surely they are on the same "bhng" etc. protocols, or have VM tweaked theirs for commercial reasons.  Must I still only use VM boosters?

- With download speeds am I barking?  We have device to hub and then hub to internet servers.  I am happy to be wrong but I have always believed that a full signal (pyramid of signal strength) was between my device and the hub/router (VM responsibility) and thereafter it was the external web server performance getting stuff BACK to my hub which I or VM have no control over?  Am I barking?

Cheers guys, any thoughts much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Jan 2021 - Add new VM Booster

What are your wired speeds like?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The booster has to be connected to the hub as you are in effect extending your ethernet via the booster through your mains to the receiving booster. I would say the tech connected to the receiving booster can be via wifi if in the same room.

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary.  How do I test my wired speeds - am presuming you mean from the hub to my PC?  My setup is Hub 3.0, ethernet from hub to Netgear box which then distributes wired to 6 ethernet ports on ground floor of which only one is in constant use (mine) and the other to the TV.  Thereafter it uses the ring circuits up and downstairs.  Upstairs has one VM booster.

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As you are connecting pc via ethernet a web browser speed check should give a decent result especially if you disconnect other hardwired devices and disable wifi temporarily 

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jonathanpye,

Yep, a quick adjustment (my ethernet was not plugged in - my bad) and I have 1gb Hub 3 to my ethernet port.  Trouble is that the kids have minimal wifi notwithstanding a booster (paired, etc.).  So can I get an additional VM booster or use Devolo?  They had Devolo boosters before the upgrade but new 500 VM seems not to like them even though I have been through the VM pairing process for boosters...

Cheers

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused sorry..

If you have hub3 and vm500 you cannot be getting 1gb. You need a hub4 for 1gb speeds and be on the VM gig1 plan?

I'm assuming that's the possible speed of your ethernet card in your pc.

Have you run the ookla speed test either as an app or in the browser.

Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1
Wifi Plus
VM Telly Tablet
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jonathanpye,

Yes you are correct.  My ethernet cable was not plugged in fully (my doh), so now having corrected that I have ethernet straight to my hub and I agree that the 1gb is the max capacity.  Having plugged in properly I am getting 350-490/mbps (Ookla) over ethernet which is good for a 500 package.

So my question remains as to why the wifi is so appalling for one of my kids?  One is using the VM booster as he does not complain, but the other struggles with simple downloads, let alone have a zoom classroom lesson start to finish.  Thing is that when I had VM350 all was good - I also had two Devolo 500 boosters on the circuit with 350.

Do you know if I can use the Develo boosters (preferred) or if I can order another VM booster (rather not)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just order a mesh system or better router. Powerline adaptors are not the way to go here.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary,

The mesh system could be the answer.  Presumably all I should be interested in is getting 500/mbps INTO the router, and then could replace Hub 3 with a mesh solution?

0 Kudos