Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 15
  • 0
  • 0
Sonofkong
Joining in
1,215 Views
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Issues connecting to the internet

Good morning. I’m wondering if someone can help? I’m having issues where my devices show a connection to the WiFi network, but won’t connect to the internet. For example, when using my iPhone, it shows a WiFi connection, but if I tried to open a webpage or look on Facebook for example, it doesn’t do anything. I then have to turn off the router and when it comes back on it works. This probably happens 2/3 times a day. I’ve tried calling virgin tech support and they tell me I have too many devices connected and need to purchase a signal booster, but this doesn’t sound right to me. Please help!!

I have the Super hub 3 with 100 Mbps connection speeds. 

I’ve connected to the router and run the diagnostic to and it did find some faults. Photos attached.

57495533-36A6-40FA-962A-54E252FB70A5.jpeg

 

86E359B3-9333-4F0C-B3F5-42295A674CEE.jpeg

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.66K
  • 886
  • 1.34K
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
1,195 Views
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

I cant see the photos yet. Do devices connected to the Hub by ethernet cable connect to the internet? If you don't know, test it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 0
Sonofkong
Joining in
1,194 Views
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

Hey jbrennand. 

 

Thanks for for the response. The pictures were deleted as they had my MAC address on. 

The only thing which is connected by Ethernet is my Philips hue hub, but everything else is connected wirelessly 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.66K
  • 886
  • 1.34K
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
1,169 Views
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

So its not clear whether your issues are restricted to the wifi networks or whether there is a problem in the hub and its network connection. Do you (or a friend) have a laptop that you can connect to the Hub with a Cat5e ethernet cable to test that connection to see it it is just wifi.
For wifi, first check through the 2 “pink” posts at the top of this board about improving your wifi signal and see if there are things in there that you can do.
One thing you could try as an experiment is to go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with the settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you have changed it) and in Advanced settings "smart wifi" disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, and "rename" the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices - my iPhone is x3 faster on the 5GHz ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
Also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one that is least so.
See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
  • 1.49K
  • 76
  • 99
Forum Team
Forum Team
1,157 Views
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

Thanks for your post SonofKong.

 

How many devices do you have connected to the broadband connection?

 

We would recommend certain speeds for customer partially based on how many people live in the household and have their devices. Upping to 200 might be the answer if you've got a good number of devices that are big data users.

 

Do you have any game consoles running on the broadband in the property?

 

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 0
Sonofkong
Joining in
1,154 Views
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet


@David_Bn wrote:

Thanks for your post SonofKong.

 

How many devices do you have connected to the broadband connection?

 

We would recommend certain speeds for customer partially based on how many people live in the household and have their devices. Upping to 200 might be the answer if you've got a good number of devices that are big data users.

 

Do you have any game consoles running on the broadband in the property?

 

David_Bn


Hi David_Bn. 

 

Thanks for the response. On last check, it was 10 devices connected. That’s 3 phones and 1 iPad.  Fire stick, Philips hue hub (hard wired), 2 echos an Xbox which is rarely on and one other that escapes me at the moment. 

We have recently downgraded our package from 200Mbps to 100 as we rarely saw the 200 speeds anyway so maybe this is the issue?

i would have thought that 100 could still cope, but maybe not?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 0
Sonofkong
Joining in
1,150 Views
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet


@jbrennand wrote:
So its not clear whether your issues are restricted to the wifi networks or whether there is a problem in the hub and its network connection. Do you (or a friend) have a laptop that you can connect to the Hub with a Cat5e ethernet cable to test that connection to see it it is just wifi.
For wifi, first check through the 2 “pink” posts at the top of this board about improving your wifi signal and see if there are things in there that you can do.
One thing you could try as an experiment is to go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with the settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you have changed it) and in Advanced settings "smart wifi" disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, and "rename" the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices - my iPhone is x3 faster on the 5GHz ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
Also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one that is least so.
See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

Hi jbrennand. 

 

Thanks for the response. 

I don’t have a laptop so would have to try and borrow one, but I’ll definitely try logging on and changing the names as you suggested to see if that helps. 

Thanks again for all the advice and tips. I really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.49K
  • 76
  • 99
Forum Team
Forum Team
1,144 Views
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

Thanks for that Sononkong.

 

Our 100 speed can cope with 10 devices but this is right on the border of the 100 and 200 speeds. 100 can usually accommodate 5-10 devices whereas with 200 you're looking at roughly 10-15.

 

It sounds like you could possibly be just on the wrong side of that border, possibly caused by the XBox, consoles are notorious for using tonnes of data due to the high end graphics 

 

Feel free to run diagnostics with us by calling 0345 454 1111, and they will be able to tell you how many and what devices are being used as well as how much data your household is using and if this is causing the problem

 

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 12.45K
  • 472
  • 1.11K
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
1,144 Views
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet


@David_Bn wrote:

Our 100 speed can cope with 10 devices but this is right on the border of the 100 and 200 speeds. 100 can usually accommodate 5-10 devices whereas with 200 you're looking at roughly 10-15.


Or use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports to handle many more devices at a lower speed.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.49K
  • 76
  • 99
Forum Team
Forum Team
1,127 Views
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

The customer can try that, I'm not really sure it's my position to recommend other routers or services though legacy1 Haha!

 

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Reply