Menu
Otguk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Is this possible...

Hub 3 in cable mode.

Cat cable to Hub 2ac.

Hub 2ac setup to broadcast wi-fi and DHCP (auto) LAN PCs.

Wi-fi doesn't work, no internet but connects to phones/laptops.

What I get is, LAN IP is an external number, 82. 2*.**.** but does have Web access.

Question is I suppose, can the 2ac be used as a standalone router (not an extender). If yes, how?

Thank you for your replies.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this possible...

So you've got the hub 2 LAN side on the WAN side - so no NAT and so on, and just one device (the hub 2 itself).   No - it won't work.

The hub WAN side is supposed to be on the RF connection (F type cable).

I guess if you put the hub 3 in router mode (not cable mode, whatever that is, or modem mode) you can use the hub 2 as a remote access point, connecting to an Ethernet port and turning off all the routing functions including DHCP etc. but I don't know for sure...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this possible...

There are some old threads such as This One that cover how to set up a spare hub as an additional access point.  There are other websites covering it too.

But, as I mentioned earlier, you need to use the Hub connected to the coax cable as the router (you can turn off its wifi if you wish) and disable router stuff on the additional AP.   Use a 'long' Ethernet cable and you can have access point in different parts of the house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos