Menu
spritley
Up to speed
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Is this online idea of changing your IP address flawed?

I've seen i said more than a couple of times recently that you can put the SH3 in modem mode for a few hours and when you swap back to router mode you will be assigned a new IP address without the need of another router?

Surely this is flawed as i've seen people say that they have come back to the same IP address after being away on holiday and the Hub had been switched off?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this online idea of changing your IP address flawed?

no you can't you will get the sme ip back. you need to be in modem mode for weeks until the ip is assigned to someone else it can even give you the same one back after months

0 Kudos
spritley
Up to speed
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming it's a falsehood as i knew VM had a long lease time so couldn't see how it would work.

While on the subject i'm surprised VM doesn't offer a easy way for people to change their IP address in the Superhub interface , even if they only allow it once a week or fortnightly at least if a family member gets the household banned from a gaming server for example you only have to wait a week or so to get back on. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

so you get a new IP and some poor schuck ends up with your banned IP? how is that fair?
maybe you should teach the family member not to get banned in the first place.
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

'even if they only allow it once a week or fortnightly at least if a family member gets the household banned from a gaming server for example you only have to wait a week or so to get back on'

the concept of being banned and why someone has been banned seems to have passed you by. which is why your 'idea' won't be introduced.

it's a bit like a criminal being given access to a face changing device, 'you only have to wait a week or so'....before you can commit the next crime.
spritley
Up to speed
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You two seem to have a very over active imagination considering the amount of false positives that anti-cheat software can cause and the admins just ignore your request to rejoin.

That's what happens in the real world not what you see in your imagination.

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

false postives... oh yeah sure!
and surely if the admins choose to ignore the request to join then that's up to them.
0 Kudos
spritley
Up to speed
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

geeeeeeez, talk about over dramatics for an off the cuff remark that came to mind in a topic that had no real depth of thought or crux that needed discussing or resolving. Smiley Happy

Would it help if i said " i'm surprised VM doesn't offer a easy way considering the amount of people you see requesting to change their IP"

Now lets see what you can come up with imagining why you see so many people ask? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
false postives... oh yeah sure!
and surely if the admins choose to ignore the request to join then that's up to them.

Back in the days of Crysis I was said to be a hacker when not so false positives do happen.

VM have limited IP's so IP's are sticky and when gaming the last thing you want is your IP to change, if VM made IP's changeable you have old IP's still with lease times on them and VM would for a given area run out un-leased IP to give out.

spritley
Up to speed
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks legacy , that makes sense.

It was just an off the cuff remark that i obviously never thought through.

Cheers

0 Kudos