cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Virgin's or my fault?

mburke78
On our wavelength

I want to post this to see if others think I am right of wrong.  Been having dropouts on my connection.  Setup an external monitor and it shows my connection dropping.  Virgin Engineer turned up and I was less then impressed with them as they blamed my devices, speed and powerlines.  Virgin have all but said they won't help as it's my issue.

1) When my laptop looses ethernet connection my mobile also looses wireless connection.  This to me rules out my powerlines.  This would in my mind point to the router to be checked next.

2) The Engineer on my first visit changed the router and I still get drops on the monitor.  This would again in my mind therefore rule out an internal issue with Number 1 and the router being swapped out and the issue still persisting.

3) Virgin state I have 20 connected devices to my router.  These are not all connected at once and would not again in my mind cause an external monitor that pings my public IP to drop it's connection.

I just feel Virgin have fobbed me off and are now blaming my internal connected devices and my powerlines for the issues even though I keep telling them it's external.  Given what I have said above am I right in the ball park of thinking Virgin aren't playing fair? 

Also can I ask why the executive complaints team is the same team as is on here.  There should be an escalations team.  I find this utterly ridiculous. 

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's possible for your equipment to crash the hub, if the hub has been replaced and the power levels are good then you need to start looking at your own setup

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub model is it and when the laptop drops on ethernet what are its lights showing/doing?

Then lets see the connection details.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

mburke78
On our wavelength

Cheers. Will take my powerlines out of the equation and see how I get on.

I'll also have a look at the light next time it goes off.

Cheers for the replies 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mburke78,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with our technician's feedback on your connection issue.

I was able to locate your account and I cannot see any issues on the system that could be causing you problems with your connection.

Please keep an eye on your services and monitor any issues. It's always great to set up a BQM chart to keep an eye on any drop outs in your connection.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs