cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router blocking my laptop!?

edgardave2011
Tuning in

I work from home but have noticed that my work laptop seems to be getting very poor wifi connection, sometimes it's like it is blocked by the router.

Sometime it is just throttled to say a 3 megabytes and other times just blocked completely.

I swap to using my phone hotspot while i reboot the router then swap back and it seems fine again.  Before i could reboot the laptop several times and it would still not connect.

All Windows and Lenovo updates are installed and wifi drivers reinstalled, flushed etc.

This is becoming quite regular

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree with @legacy1   try a wired connection to see if this drops out as well.  It may be more than the wifi is at fault.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use a wire or get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree with @legacy1   try a wired connection to see if this drops out as well.  It may be more than the wifi is at fault.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

fyi we found that 'WinPCap 4.1.3' was installed somehow, no idea what it was, but was advised by my company support team to uninstall it and now speed dramatically changed.  I still have occasional issues turning VPN on/off but now only had one big outage, drop to 1mbps, but found swapping to flight mode for 30 seconds then turning off flight mode seems make the connection back into the 100's

edgardave2011_0-1652945432406.png