Menu
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to get an engineer quicker if working from home?

Is there anyway of getting an engineer quicker if working from home? I have done all the resets and still no wifi so was told i need to book an engineer and the earliest i could book an engineer is for Saturday, the problem is i have two daughters working from home, one a key worker and cannot be off line for 4 days, i know everyone is probably in the swme boat but thought it would not hurt to ask 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it possible to get an engineer quicker if working from home?

Not really - there is no Service Level Agreement on a residential broadband contract. If you want that then you need to be on a Business package which will come at a higher monthly cost.

In the meantime - do connections on ethernet cable connected devices still work? If you dont know can you test it? What Hub model is it and what are the lights showing/doing?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet is working fine, will just have to hunt down some cable's and hope Saturday's visit is not cancelled, thanks for answering 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What Hub model do you have?

If the ethernet connections are working fine, look in the Hub settings and see whether the two (or just one) wifi bands have switched themselves to being inactivated. There are reports on here where that has been happening to some Hub3's after a firmware update. Also the SSID name is sometimes changing to "1" and so you would not be connecting to it. So log into the Hubs settings and rename the SSID to what it should be then save and restart.

If none of that works then see what the tech says. But if the ethernet connections are working fine then to restore the wifi you could always do what I and many on here do, and get your own better quality wireless equipment with the Hub switched into modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have a Hub3, have checked settings and all are as they should be but Internet is stating "Access Denied"??

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is that happening on ethernet connections as well now ?

If so, then all I can suggest is another reset.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tried factory reset last night, but since last message its all now working 🙄 

0 Kudos
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Deja vu, after working for 5 1/2 days and cancelling engineer for sat, internet goes off again sunday, new box sent, received today and still happening, another 6 day wait for engineer and 2 people paying through the nose for mobile data so they can work. Read another thread with same issues and he's getting his engineer tomorrow, fuming.  Obviously computer generated appointments with zero flexibility 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did you look at moving from "Residential" to "Business"?  Otherwise its down to supply and demand in your location.

Also - you didnt answer my question.  Is it happening on ethernet connections at the same time as on wifi ones?  If it just a wifi issue - the fix is best/quickest sorted in your own hands - if not and ethernet connections are dropping too its down to VM.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Lhunt
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connections are working fine, phone will connect to wifi "with no internet" , i will just have to be patient and wait for engineer to figure out why my access is denied, thanks for your help and i will definitely look to see if its worth changing to business account

0 Kudos