Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to create a VLAN with not internet access ? (For Ip camera)

Hello,

I bought a cheap IP Camera (cheap Chinese stuff on Amazon) and I obviously do NOT want these little guys to connect to internet in ANY way (no internet and no DNS resolution as well)

With the Suber Hub 3 is it possible to create a VLAN that doesn't have access to internet and with no DNS resolver ?

If not.. is it possible to let the Super Hub use our own router ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it possible to create a VLAN with not internet access ? (For Ip camera)

The answer to your questions are:

1. No.

2. Yes, by putting your VM Hub 3 into modem mode you can use your own router: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Perfect, thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A lot of the cheap IP cameras do an ET all the time (call home to China), that’s why I will not use them. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can't help thinking that VLANs are probably not the way to go here. Firstly VLAN tagging is something that's better suited to a switch than a router and presumably you would want the cameras to talk to something even if it's a phone/tablet on your own network. So unless the phone etc. is on the same isolated VLAN, you'll need some kind of inter VLAN routing, which requires (ideally) a managed, layer 3 switch and you'll need to configure the access control lists to block unwanted traffic. It'll all get very messy and complex (not to mention expensive) quite quickly.

You'll definitely need to get your own router but it'll probably be easier to set a fixed IP address for the camera (personally I prefer doing this with reserved DHCP addresses) and then having some outbound firewall rules which drops traffic from the camera's address to the internet. Don't bother too much about DNS, if the camera was calling home it'll almost certainly be doing it to a hard wired set of addresses anyway.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you've installed a security camera then you'll surely want to access it whenever away from home.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos