forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Hounds
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is it me or should I change supplier!

After over 2 hours on the phone last week and speaking to retentions about why I wanted to leave because of the upcoming price increase, bad download speeds and wifi dead spot, they suggested that my as I have had my hub 3 for sometime it may be at fault and would send me some new some new equipment, although the did not state exactly what! Today I received a new Power supply! Please can any one advise how this will help me?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it me or should I change supplier!

A classic offshore VM CS response 🙂

If you want to leave - remember the timer is running.

Or if you want some help diagnosing and suggesting fixes for your issues, post up more details on what exactly they are.

And also tell us what VM equipment/package you have, what devices you are using on wif and on ethernet connections, and what you have tried to fix it .

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hounds
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response, TiVo 6, Hub3, on virgin package M100 which as I understand min download speed 54mbps which we never achieve more like 36.30 on 2.4 ghz. We run 2 Apple IPad Air’s and one smart Tv all on wifi only. all located in small 3 bed bungalow in which on bedroom we are unable to get wifi. 
Problem is download speed and dead spot in such a small area could understand if it was a large house, modem is not hidden but is further away from the bedroom which has no wifi but not more than 8meters and 2 walls.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To cure dead spots which may be due to iron rich brisk walls, etc, you should consider getting your own better quality wireless equipment.

36Mbps is good on 2.4GHz. Put any idevice you have onto the 5GHz band - you need to rename the SSID's of the 2 bands in the Hub settings - also whilst in there disable "channel optimisation" as well

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Hounds
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not really very computer technical more silver surfer, but will endeavour to make those changes, any recommendations opion for wifi equipment to get please?

still can’t understand why they have sent me a new power lead

kind Regards

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The protocol for changing is below.

re your own equipment see this...

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, what is yours ?

You need either (1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

----------------------------------------------------------------
CHANGE HUB3 SETTINGS

Go into the Hub3 settings.
Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - hounds_2 & hounds_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. 

Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device you have

Note all your wifi devices will now need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which of the 12 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Hounds
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you 🙏
0 Kudos