Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is iphone 4 / ios 9.3 incompatible with VM Hub 4?

Hello,

Can anyone help please? Does anyone know if the VM Hub4 has minimum IOS requirements?

Yesterday we installed our new VM Hub4, after using a Hub3 for the last few years. I have an iphone 4 on ios 9.3.6 (no further updates available for iphone 4) and I cannot connect it to the new hub. I managed to connect it briefly yesterday after a few attempts but noticed last night that wifi wasn't connected and kept dropping out almost immediately after I reconnected it. I've tried rebooting phone, resetting network settings on phone and resetting hub4. I tried using the WPS to connect this morning and now my phone cannot detect the hub4 at all. It can detect my neighbours' VM hub that must be at least 10 metres away and through several sets of walls, but it cannot detect my hub4 even when the phone is placed right next to the hub! I had no issues connecting to the hub3. My iphone has effectively been rendered useless overnight!

We have other devices in house that have successfully connected to the Hub4, so the wifi signal must be ok (although it seems weaker than the hub3, despite being in exactly the same place as the hub3 was, but maybe there is a settling in period?). The issue seems to be just with my iphone. And yes, I realise it's an old phone, but it suits my needs and I don't want to have to fork out a load of money for a new phone when it worked perfectly fine up until yesterday. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm not tech savvy (hence using iphone 4!), so if I can't get it connected soon, I'll have to take the hub4 out and put the old hub3 back in again...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is iphone 4 / ios 9.3 incompatible with VM Hub 4?

The "vintage" iPhone4 doesnt have the 5GHz radio - so can only connect on the 2.4GHz band. I dont have a Hub4 (or Hub3) so not sure how its wifi is factory set up but if it is the same as the Hub3 it onley has 1 ssid. You could try going into the Hub4 settings and renaming the SSID's of the 2 frequencies so that they are "distinguishable" and the iP4 should then see the 2.4 GHz band and connect.

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.
See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post. I'm afraid I am a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing, so have a few questions if you don't mind...

1. I'm not sure how I would go about changing the hub4 settings? Do I do this through my online VM account?

2. Do I need to run a wifi analyser app on the affected iphone or can I do this using another phone or laptop?

3. I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by "seamless roaming" benefits - is this the hub switching between channels depending on which one is less busy?? Would any changes only impact my phone (which would be fine, as I don't use it for streaming etc) and our other more modern devices (newer iphone, smart tv etc) would be unaffected?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to add, I have seen some other posts about using the Hub in modem-only mode and using a separate router. Could this potentially help with my issue? We have a Netgear router that we previously used when we had BT B/B, but since moving to VM we've just used the Hub3 that they set-up. Should I be trying to set this up in conjunction with the Hub4? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: Just phoned Virgin to check if my Hub3 would still work. After an agonising 55 minutes wait on hold (with the same 4 dreadful songs being played on a loop over and over, just to remind me how long I'd been on hold) I got through to a very helpful person who told me that actually I should never have been sent a Hub4 as I only have a 100mb connection and not a 1GB connection. Therefore I am better off with the Hub3 and the best solution was to disconnect the hub4 and reconnect the hub3! The person I spoke to was great and waited on the phone whilst I disconnected and reconnected, but what an absolute joke!! So many thanks to Virgin for giving me a massive headache and 1.5 days of lost connectivity, not to mention lost time spent online trying to sort this out (and of course the delightful 55 mins on hold). As an extra bonus, they also want me to package the Hub4 back up and pop down to the post office to send it back to them! So other customers beware - if Virgin phone up and tell you they're sending you a Hub4, check your package and if it's not 1GB politely tell them not to bother!!

0 Kudos