cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is getting my own router irreversible?

Hizi
Joining in

Hey 

it’s my first post. 🎉 I’ve been a VM customer for around 3 years now my first contract was great getting speeds of 100Mbps + in every room when I renewed my contract is when the internet started to slip up. I’ve had two new routers so as then but still no change. The issue started in the living room around 5 months back but has slowly crept its way around the flat. On my latest visit from a technician they recommend me to buy my own router bow for this I have a few questions. I have found this router and would like to ask if it would be compatible https://amzn.eu/d/fp1mlsv

- How do I set up the router? 

- If I put my router into “Modem Mode” will I still be     able to use the normal wireless connections already on it or will I have to set it up on a new router?

- Is a new router really worth it?

My VM package: M100, Talk weekends.

2 REPLIES 2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Hizi wrote:

I have found this router and would like to ask if it would be compatible https://amzn.eu/d/fp1mlsv

NO its junk the plastic cost more then what inside it even the box its in cost more!

This for cheap is what your looking for

TP-Link AC1200 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router, Wi-Fi Speed up to 1200 Mbps, 4×Gbps LAN Ports, Advanc...

and a cable

Digitus P S/FTP CAT6 1 m Patch Cable - Grey : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"- Is a new router really worth it?"
Yes definitely, the VM hubs are cheap & not so cheerful equipment. I have always used my own router with a Hub3, Hub4 and Hub5. Don’t buy a cheap router, spend as much as you can afford.

"- If I put my router into “Modem Mode” will I still be able to use the normal wireless connections already on it or will I have to set it up on a new router?"
No. You can set up the same name wireless SSIDs on your own router to have the same names as on you VM hub. When the hub is in modem mode only one of the RJ45 sockets is active, cables to your own router, and WiFi on the VM hub is inactive.

"- How do I set up the router? "

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2