Menu
Reginald0511
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Iphones and poor wifi

Afternoon all

4 of us in the house, 2 using Android, 2 using ios. The 2 Android users have no issues with poor wifi, the 2 iphone users constantly chew my ear off at how poor their wifi signal is. Also have a Smart TV which also has no connectivity issues, along with an Amazon Firestick

I have logged into my hub and disabled the Smart wifi option, have also changed the channels to manual instead of auto, 2.4ghz is set to Channel 1 and 5ghz is set to channel 48, and still the iphone users moan!

Does anyone have another idea I can try?, should I separate out the frequencies and let the iphone users choose the best one?

Thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Iphones and poor wifi

Try separating the bands with different SSIDs (2 or 5 on the end for example).

How did you arrive at the channel choice? 

Have you used a wifi analyser app to check channel occupancy?  There are several good free ones for Android and Airport Utility as another option on iPhones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You need to have separate SSID's for the two channels and tell the iPhone users to connect to the 5GHz one for full speeds. Ignore the 2.4 one.

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reginald0511
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It defaulted those channels when I set them to manual rather than auto. 

So when I separate the frequencies, shall I change back to auto selection?

Thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Reginald0511 wrote:

Hi

It defaulted those channels when I set them to manual rather than auto. 

So when I separate the frequencies, shall I change back to auto selection?

Thanks

You can - having given the two wifi bands different SSIDs leave it to the hub to 'manage' the frequency selection by selecting 'auto'.  Personally I prefer to manage that myself, having checked what channels are in use locally (by me and my neighbours) choosing the least busy.  I use a free wifi analyser app to check channel occupancy.  So I use manual and set the channels myself.   It's up to you.  Maybe use auto and see if there are any ongoing issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos