Menu
jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

'Invalid network settings'

Hi again everyone,

This next question might not have an easy resolve and may be something I'll have to live with but you are all so knowledgeable I might as well ask. It seems at certain times of the day ( possibly peak times eg 6pm - 9pm that the router drops its signal to the V6 boxes ( of which you know I have three ) and irrespective of the nearest or furthest box, a catch up program becomes interrupted and begins to buffer ( the dreaded wheel ) then a VM message appears saying 'invalid network settings' all of my cables are fine so I wonder if this is because of a surge in other VM users drawing on their fibre cables?

many thanks Steve

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: 'Invalid network settings'

I've moved this post to the WiFi board as I suspect that's where it'll end up.

Just by means of covering the TV-bases, on your V6 boxes please follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and post what the WiFi signal strength is reported as, in the top-right.

VM supply your home with a broadband connection, and also a free router to let you connect wired (Ethernet) and wireless (WiFi-devices) to use your broadband. The V6 TV box is one of those devices, that can connect via either wireless or Ethernet.

Do you have problems with the WiFi on any of your other devices? Mobiles, tablets, laptops etc?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi & Thanks again
I've only been able to check the two first floor boxes at the moment ( wifey is watching a programme downstairs so can't establish ) This is interesting. In one of my son's bedrooms the WiFi signal began @ 30% marginal but went down to 27% marginal then 25% poor yet in the other son's bedroom which is directly above the router, apart from the ceiling it said 45% marginal. Before we had VM we had Sky but in one of the son's bedrooms the signal was always poor ( may be the position of the room at the back of the house)
Our Computer is wired by ethernet and so I wouldn't expect any problems there. We generally don't have a problem with WiFi on a tablet or any phones but I'll check the tablet in my son's room. I have a very long ethernet cable which would reach my son's room easily from the router but other than plugging in the ethernet cable into another port of the router and then into the rear of his V6 box is there anything else I would have to do?
0 Kudos
jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I also forgot to mention that my son connects his tv in the garden shed via his x box and says his connectivity is always fine. I wonder if there is some sort of 'shielding' in the walls of the back bedroom
0 Kudos
jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Having to re-booting the V6 box

Hi & so sorry to be on here again.

Having checked my WiFi signal strength, thanks to Jappit showing me how, the box I was having the most trouble with connecting with other V6 boxes in my youngest son's room, fluctuates from 25% (poor) at peak times to 60% ( good ) other times. Only 48hrs ago I re booted all three V6 boxes and the router and all boxes began 'talking' to each other.

I thought all my worries were over until this evening when I tried to view one of the recorded shows from the downstairs box from my son's box upstairs. The signal strength was 60% but the dreaded 'buffer wheel' came on with the message 'trying to connect with box ..... and this can take up to 30 seconds' It wouldn't connect so I tried again and still no luck. I tried from downstairs to connect the box with my son's box upstairs but the same thing happened, the signal again was 60% ( good ) I tried running a long ethernet cable between the two boxes but now think this only helps when you lose signal from the router to the box and the ethernet cable circumvents this. Anyway, to put matters right ( but for how long? ) I re booted the upstairs box once again and it is working once again. Why do I seem to have to do this so soon after the last time? There are no connectivity issues in the box bedroom merely 6 metres away with signal strength 45% ( moderate ) I don't have the start in Eco power selected from 'devices' menu which I was advised to avoid.

Many thanks  Steve

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having to re-booting the V6 box

@jenfamily1 wrote:

I tried running a long ethernet cable between the two boxes but now think this only helps when you lose signal from the router to the box and the ethernet cable circumvents this

If a V6 has an Ethernet cable connected, that will disable the WiFi functionality. It will only use WiFi if there's no Ethernet cable connected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japitts & Thank you.

I've realised too that by connecting an ethernet cable between the box & router it dissables the WiFi but at least I know for the future that if the connectivity issues arise in my son's bedroom ( 25% poor ) and a streamed show stops working, I can always plug in the ethernet cable which should solve the problem.

I did post another when surprised that I had to re boot both his & his brother's boxes after only 48hrs because neither would sync with the downstairs box.I'm going to try them again in a while.

Steve

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It does sound to me, like the underlying problem is poor WiFi coverage in the rooms - and different devices are coping differently.

The underlying fix is therefore to improve the WiFi in those rooms. Others are more familiar with this, and I hope @jbrennand or @Anonymous  won't mind me mentioning them, as being particularly "wise" in this department.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I think @japitts is right. It looks like if you dont want to ethernet cable connect permanently then you just need to improve the wifi signal at the location of the V6 boxes.

I have one V6 on ethernet and two on wifi. I found that the V6's connects far better when on the 5 GHz band rather than the 2.4 one but as the range of that band is limited and so would sometimes drop out when "local interference" occurred - so I added extra wireless "extenders" to service those areas and have had no issues since. I get ~95% wifi signal on the V6's.

I think that will sort the issues. There are a number of options for doing that. You could first try renaming the 2 wifi bands SSID's so they are separate and you can choose which band to connect to for each V6.

Other solutions, all have their pro's and cons and depend on the size/layout of your property, house power wiring quality (for powerline adapters), your tech ability, need for more sophisticated router facilities (timed access control for example), are there other areas of the property where you need to improve the wifi and lastly how much you are prepared to spend 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jenfamily1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi John & Thanks
I'm a bit shy of tech and don't know how to rename the 2 WiFi bands ( are these the two different GHz bands you mention, 2.4 & 5? ) Is this something which can be done on the TV screen 'settings' Does my router fluctuate between the two GHz figures automatically at the moment ? I'd have to ask someone close to home with tech experience about WiFi 'extenders' as I don't know what they are.
Would you think these powerline adapters are going to work any differently to me connecting an ethernet cable? I admit they are less obtrusive. If not, it's not a problem running the ethernet cable should I need to down the stairwell.
0 Kudos