cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet really slow again

Ceejay2021
On our wavelength

Hi

I have Volt 200 but lately my internet speed (on Wifi) is 40mbps at best.  Today it is down to 15mbps. 

We also have some deadspots in our house.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

C

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

WiFi internet at 15 - 40 Mb/s is suggests a device that has connected on the 2.4Ghz band.

Use the test below to see if the issue is at the Hub or device.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

Ceejay2021
On our wavelength

My device is on the 5Ghz band.  

Unfortunately, the link above does not seem to be working. Would I need to attach my laptop to the router via a cable first?

Client62
Legend

The Realspeed test does not care what device or connection type is used.

Post into the thread a screen shot of the failure message and lets see if we can understand what is preventing the test.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ceejay2021, thank you for your post on our help forums and welcome back to the VM community.

We're sorry to hear of the issues with your wireless connection being slow, we'd love to best assist with that.

Based on the speed tier you're on you can get up to 200Mbps speed over wired (ethernet) however Wi Fi works in a completely different way and can be affected by various factors that define the quality and levels of signal in the house.

Although we provide a minimum speed guarantee as seen on this page here, this is regarding the service your hub receives. 

Our wireless speeds may vary depending on the location and the distance from the hub and we can guarantee a minimum of 20Mbps on wireless for any device with our Wi Fi Max

To identify whether you need Wi Fi Max and our pods, please try using the VM Connect App which can be found here where you can scan the rooms for weak/blind spots on the Wi Fi.

Let us know if your speeds come below 20Mbps and we can assist further by making sure you'll get our wireless signal boosters to help with this.

If you wish to add this service on, we can activate this and place an order for your first Wi Fi Pod where needed(after we complete some checks for this).
This way we can boost the Wi Fi signal in areas where it's low and your devices struggle to get a fast connection.

Since you explained you're on a Volt bundle, this can be added free of cost and we will be able to offer a minimum of 20Mbps speed on each wireless device.

Let us know if the above make sense and if you have more questions, we'll be happy to advise further.

Also, tell us if you need help getting a pod or you managed to do this on the Connect App (as when it detects a weak/blind spot it will give you the option to get Wi Fi Max) and order a pod from there.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kattivix
On our wavelength

After some research and video warching i get the conclusion that all Virgin media hubs are cinese made so they suck in talking of range and quality of service. Myself i use a hub 3 in Modem Mode with an Asus ArcherAX55 router and i can say that i dont have problems of speed drops or wifi range drops. My advice its to use other type of router and im sure you wont have those problems anymore. 

RealSpeed is not available on this network

To fix this:

• Make sure you are on your home network.
  • Make sure you are not connected to a VPN (for example, on a work laptop).

If you continue to get this message, check our help centre.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for updating the thread Ceejay2021. 

Have you been able to complete the speed test since posting? 

Also, have you taken a look at the additional links provided by my colleague?

Thanks, 

Nat