Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Internet randomly loses connection on PC - but other devices on network dont

Quick context: Virgin media broadband, Virgin hub -> Netgear router -> Ethernet cable -> PC (other devices connect to Netgear via wifi).

Noticed this half a year-ish ago. Every so often (sometimes once an hour, sometimes once every 15min) my internet would "stop".

When I say stop, I mean: My webpages get stuck on loading (they don't error out, they just "keep loading"), my youtube starts buffering, my WOW starts lagging, etc. There are no errors, no warnings, nothing in the windows event log, etc like Ome TV & Bazoocam. This lasts for ~4 sec or so and then gets fixed, and everything resumes at the same time.

If it helps, there is some input happening (So I can hear people on discord talking, I can see people in WOW playing around me, etc), but no output from my side (I can hear them talk but they don't hear me talk. I can see others playing but my char is lagging Ome TV).

Steps I've tried:

1. Connect PC to Netgear via wifi (same problem)

2. Connect PC via ethernet directly to Virgin hub (same problem)

3. Disconnect the phone's mobile internet, connect to Netgear wifi, browse random pages during the "lag spike" (Phone not lagging!).

This makes me believe that problem is not with my internet, but rather with my pc.

I'm not sure what else to check/troubleshoot/attempt to fix.

Any suggestions, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet randomly loses connection on PC - but other devices on network dont

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click Post again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

then

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Take note of the times that you have problems and see if they align with any spikes on the BQM.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos