Menu
mr-e-meat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Internet of my own

When the engineer came to install the broadband, he discovered that the is no connection to my property. As a temporary solution he connected me to  next door and said that virgin would send someone back to complete the installation in the near future. That was 14 months ago and nada! I have called, but the person I spoke to didn't understand what the problem was and I let it slide. Just recently my YouTube has been buffering, something that hasn't happened for years and when my signal drops out, I'm not even the top of my list when I come to reconnect! Should I persue the installation of my own, or does it make no difference? My connection is supposed to be 200mbps so I don't expect videos to buffer. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet of my own

Pursue both, but focus on the performance issue.  At a technical level, there is no inherent performance hit from sharing next door's coax connection.  So although the fault might be where your connection is tee'd off (as an example only), if that were made good then your connection could be fine.  Where a shared connection is less good is if next door ceased to be a VM customer, and removed the VM wires, in which case you have no internet.

If you want to post the hub's status data we can look for obvious errors.  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

I'd suggest you wait for the forum staff to advise on the shared connection, and what can be done about getting a new dedicated line into your property.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Being connected to your neighbours line is usually a temporary measure whilst VM sort out cables to your property... it shouldn’t make any difference to the overall performance of your connection though and doesn’t change the service you receive in any way... 

The issues you are having could happen irrespective of how your home is connected, we’ll need some more detail to help diagnose what the issue is.. 

VM staff here seem to be a little more capable of engaging the correct internal departments than the staff on the phone, so if you hang around for a few days someone from VM will eventually respond...

in the meantime, can you set up a BQM - once set up, find the Live Graph and click "Create Sharing Link" - post that back here.

Next, browse to your hub on http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click Router Status - copy/paste the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you'll need multiple posts for this, the info wont all fit into a single one

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've been connected to my neighbours line for the last 10 years, it has never caused any issues, we both have broadband/phone and STBs I have one and they have 2, it all works well. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos