cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet may not be available disconnects

DanButHarry
Tuning in

For a few months now, our household devices have been subject to isolated disconnects, but the hub remains in service and connected to the wifi. It is often shown on our phones as the wifi symbol with an ! Next to it stating "Internet may not be available"

Its incredibly frustrating, in the last 20 minutes i have disconnected 5 times, my wife 3 times.

Have read a few similar threads like this but nothing ive tried has worked. 

Nothing has changed at home, the hub remains in a good, not blocked location where it has been fine for many years prior to this issue.

This is tending to happen only upstairs on wifi connected devices. However speed tests and WiFi analytics are all good. 

I have tried:

Soft resets, hard (pin hole) resets, splitting 2.4 & 5ghz and using 2.4 for better stability, static IP on phones, clearing phone cache in bios,  connecting on phone while in safe mode (remove app interference) disabling smart channels and setting manual ones, purchased a wifi extender, we have also had an engineer install a brand new Hub3 box. 

The issue is still persistent and extremely annoying as every evening upstairs, our phones continously disconnect and streaming anything is impossible.

Any advice please?

Screenshot_20211028-230114_Settings.jpg

53 REPLIES 53

I was editing my post when you replied! Just noticed you'd tried most things. DO the phones exhibit the same behaviour on other networks? Do other WiFI connected devices (e.g. laptop) do the same thing?

Last resort would be to buy a wireless access point or your own router (and put the hub in modem mode) as it may just be an incompatibility with the hub. If you could borrow a router to try this would save shelling out on a router if it doesn't fix the issue (you need a cable router and not one for a DSL line).

DanButHarry
Tuning in

Ive not really tested it on other networks, or at least replicated similar distance, but not occured on any other network.

No recent updates, occurs on 2 different samsung models on different android builds. 

I hit the wifi button on my phone off and hit it on again and internet resumes, watching 5 minutes of a video takes 25 minutes. Even posting this ive done non wifi because of disconnects!! 

Thanks for all the tried and tested advice, I think a router with modem mode is the only option here, what a sad request for a christmas present lol. 

Hi @DanButHarry

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the internet issues. We've done a system check today and no issues showing.

How's the connection been since posting?

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, no better, have confirmed it sometimes drops out on a tablet we use for work as well.

The actual connection to the box is fine, ive had it showing 100% signal with 585Mbps connection and yet the internet shows as unavailable (using a wifi analytics app) internet continues to provide internet fine, but its like the connection for Internet only gets interrupted, hit the WiFi off and back on on the device and you are immediatley reconnected. There is no loss of signal do to speak. 

Hi DanButHarry

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry it's not any better.

Can you start and upload a BQM for us?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you, have started this for you, shall share results tomorrow. 

Can also confirm an internet loss on my phone happened in the kitchen today, about 8ft away with direct line of sight to the hub. Again only affecting one device.

Hi John, how should i share the BQM? Is it ok to share eith my IP on? 

Looks like disconnections are showing big blocks of red dropped packets. 

Heres todays,

Not sure hoe useful this will be, during each disconnect theres no spike or anything on thr graph. 

Heck this morning the internet completley dropped out and couldn't even connect to it from around 5am-8:30am until i reset the hub and the graph hasnt even blinked. Assume this is just because its pinging line quality and not checking connections?

Wont let me post any more screenshots as it keeps autofilling html formatting which i cant ddit to delete and wont let me delete

Just spoke to the someone on the 0345 454 1111 number, what a waste of time that was. He told me that it is becauss i turned my channel optomisation off a week and a half ago, told me to unscrew and rescrew in my coax cable and now its fixed.

He also told me not to bother ringing them back again today if its not working as its fixed, but couldn't tell me what he has done to fix. Such rude customer service.