Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps disconnecting

I have been having this problem for FOUR months now. It keeps cutting off,sometimes just for a few secs, sometimes longer. I am in trouble at work as working from home and its affected my productivity...ie I am not reaching my targets. Sometimes it can disconnect 20 or 30 times in an 8 hour shift! I cannot watch TV, if an online channel, like Netflix....tonight for eg,it disconnected 17 times between 4.40pm and midnight. Its IMPOSSIBLE to get to speak to a person, on the phone. I have done ALL the resets suggested...infact I reboot the hub by turning it off EVERY DAY!! IT only works for a few hours, or if I am lucky, one day...then starts up again. I have tried the chat...but no reply in 3 hours. I wrote in to complain, and this has been ignored...not even acknowledged. I am at my wits end, as the money is still going out every month for a diabolical internet service, and absolutely NO customer service is helping...in FOUR MONTHS! I even went through on phone to billing so I could speak to someone, who said he would transfer me to tech dept....55 mins later I was still holding...next step will have to be OFFCOM if someone doesnt help sort this out.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

What’s dropping - wired or wireless?

OFCOM don’t take complaints from customers.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Wireless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to test and monitor a wired connection. Wireless isn’t covered under your contract or speed guarantee. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

But my wifi router is upstairs. Its nowhere near tv, microwave, smart meters or anything! Its in a cupboard in a bedroom, well ventilated....but of course there are walls around it...and a radiator in the room. 

Thing is, it was okay for 18 months ...just been really diabolical these last 6 months!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean by " third party equipment"?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@GillyGhoul wrote:

But my wifi router is upstairs. Its nowhere near tv, microwave, smart meters or anything! Its in a cupboard in a bedroom, well ventilated....but of course there are walls around it...and a radiator in the room. 

Thing is, it was okay for 18 months ...just been really diabolical these last 6 months!! 

As you have just stated - things change.

And to be honest, a bedroom cupboard is not the ideal place for the Hub location.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Well, when I had it installed, I did check with the engineer and he said as its such a large, deep cupboard, and nothing else in there except the cctv, it would be fine!! I mean, I wouldnt knie,so can only go on the advice of the so called ' expert'...

What is the " third party equipment" you refer to? Because I HAVE to do something....I cant even watch a one hour tv programme without it disconnecting 2 or 3 times! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Couuld a neighbour have Virgin service and you are getting a clash of network frequencies?
[I use a program on my laptop called inssider by MetaGeek to see local wireless networks, maybe a change of frequency might help].
0 Kudos