Menu
MEPRobertson
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps cutting out for laptops

Hello I'm looking for some advice, 

We've had our Virgin media broadband for less than 2 years and up until a couple of weeks ago there have been little to no connection issues. However, recently our internet has has been frequently disconnecting which leads us to have to reconnect again only for it to cut out again 15 minutes later... We live in a small 3 bed flat with only 6 devices connected to the router, it's now come to the case that in order to have an uninterupted conection we can only be in the same room as the router. This issue is slowly getting worse and worse as when i woke up this morning I found that my laptop couldn't even find the broadband network let alone connect. I then had to reboot the router (for the severalth time this week) for it to finaly connect by this time I was late for a meeting. What's even curiouser is that there is no issue with phones...

For the short period of time we are connected the internet is fast and fine but it's difficult to engage in university classes when every 15 minutes my connection is lost...

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps cutting out for laptops

Hiya,

What happens if the laptop is connected with an ethernet cable to the hub?

Worth seeing if broadband has completely gone at these times or it is just the WiFi

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Apologies - I notice that phones are connected OK!

Sorry!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, MEPRobertson,

Sorry to hear that you have been having broadband issues. Can you confirm if the hub lights show that you are losing connections? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean

Have you tried factory resetting the hub back to factory defaults?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Weena711
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same problem for me I am getting some support to trouble shoot , I had to send logs yesterday and they ran some checks overnight ..... awaiting results. 

I guess you need to get support from VM to trouble shoot 

some initial answers I got yesterday which I don’t 100% agree with 

1. maybe the wifi connection in your area by your provider is the issue - no! 
2.maybe you  could get some other equipment to connect and that will help because VM hubs we know are not great for  wifi connections- what? No! 

I am at the point of changing providers as this issue is affecting my work and child in isolation school work and university lectures ! 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post, Weena711,

Are the issues for wifi only or is it also for wired connections? Also who did you send logs to?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
MEPRobertson
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Corey, 

We did a factory reset on Tuesday and it was working fine for a couple days but now it's gone back to being on and off again. 

I have no clue what could be the issue, I was hoping after a couple days of decent connection that the factory reset had worked but that doesn't seem to be the case... 

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MEPRobertson 

Thanks so much for keeping us updated and I'm so sorry to hear the factory reset hasn't worked long term for you. 

I know you aren't seeing these issues on your phones, can I just ask you to confirm which devices you are facing these issues on, and if anything happens to the lights on the Hub when the connection drops? 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Weena711
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don’t use wired connections, only wifi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

if you only use wifi you have no speed or connection guarantees they only apply to wired connections
0 Kudos