Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Internet has dropped every day for the past month, from 5 mins-10 hours. Using Hub4, can't troubleshoot

Hi guys, I will try and reign in my frustration.

I've been a super loyal customer for as long as I remember.

During the past month we have had our internet collapse every single day without fault. Sometimes it shows on Service Status, sometimes it doesn't. My internet dropped for 25 minutes today, it was 10 minutes yesterday, it was a full 14 hours on one day last week. Every single day, without fail, duration of drop varies.

We have the new superhub4, so we cannot even diagnose our router through the online portal or the app. We just get a message saying to post on the forums. No offence to anyone here but I do not regard posting on a forum as equivalent of useful to actually diagnosing through our line. I don't understand why we were given a brand new modem range without capacity to test it like this. 

EDIT: I won't post our postcode publicly, but we are near Birmingham area.

We are at the end of our tether, we have loved our ISP for absolute years, we pay a lot of money for the package we have, but it is also in the time of working from home. I can't seem to get help, or talk to anyone. I would love nothing more than for someone from Virgin to even communicate to me that they understand what the problem is, they know what it is, and when a more permanent fix will happen. With internet connection like this for the past month there must be a fundamental problem somewhere that isn't being addressed or communicated to us, we're just absolutely miserable with stress and desperate for answers. I don't want to have to change ISP, I'm ranting but we have really enjoyed it, the competition in our area is terrible, we have little to no alternatives to the package we have, so we are effectively stuck with an ISP which is failing us on the daily and no real alternative to turn to.

I would appreciate so much if anyone could begin to even help us understand what's happening, how, if we can, help fix it. Or any form of communication that Virgin is aware of the problem and give us at least a time frame of when we expect it to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet has dropped every day for the past month, from 5 mins-10 hours. Using Hub4, can't troublesho

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet has dropped every day for the past month, from 5 mins-10 hours. Using Hub4, can't troublesho

Hiya, thank you so much for the reply.

Can confirm the top suggestions are all accounted for. I've had to bookmark Service Status in my browser for the first time in years if that is an indication to just how bad it has gotten here. 

In terms of Service Status, as well as calling that number. I do both. 9 times out of 10 it is an error in my area. However I would argue having an error in my area, daily, for the past month is another issue in of itself. Part of the clarification from Virgin I'm looking for here is some kind of dialogue that they know what is happening here and if and when at what point a fix comes along that is more permanent. Daily dropouts in my area is extremely worrying, worrying enough that I would of hoped we would of heard something from the company as that is incredibly out of the norm. Would of liked some kind of email, phone call, or letter that would explain that Virgin are aware that my area is currently awful, they know whats wrong, and are working on a permanent fix, as none of them have been.

Here is the BQM link (think I did that right).

My BQM 

Can't seem to post the part from Router Status... I follow the steps correctly, a loading icon swirls in the middle of that screen and then it dissapears. Just a white box. Very willing to post back if clarified I made a mistake that I can fix.

I'll reply again if I can figure out/being instructed to how to get Router Status to even show something (Is this a symptom of the Hub4?).

Thank you again for the reply!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet has dropped every day for the past month, from 5 mins-10 hours. Using Hub4, can't tr...

Hi there @Zakman

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I am sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband connection at the moment. Our Hub4 is a brand new piece of kit available for those customers on our Gig1 package and as such this is currently not available via our Connect App. However, you should still be able to get the help you need if calling on 150/03454541111 to chat with our Tech Support team. 

Our forums are here to assist our users with any queries or issues they may be having; our Community are here first and foremost to assist with their wealth of knowledge and expertise. Many of our VIPs and users were part of the Hub4 trial and now all there is to know about the new hub and our network. 

We can see from your BQM that it certainly is not as stable as we would like and there have been a couple of drop outs. I've not been able to locate your account from your forum information so I've not been able to go through any additional checks; I do apologise. I'll pop you a quick Private Message so we can take your account information securely and we can go from there

Please do look out for a Purple Envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can if you still need assistance. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet has dropped every day for the past month, from 5 mins-10 hours. Using Hub4, can't tr...

Could you please post any resolution of diagnosis on here. Clearly a number of us are having similar issues. thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, just had our engineer come.

The first thing she told us was the Hub4's aren't great and they're having a bunch of problems with them. She also told us that Virgin have been trying to upgrade things in my area and they haven't been going to plan. That might explain the regular problems I was having in my area which have no died down a bit.

Back on the Hub3 now, praying to finally get some consistency here finally. I'll continue to update this thread if problems return or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It has now been a few days, other than some hiccups on Friday night having installed the Hub3, our internet is completely back to normal. No more 10 minute drops multiple times a day, stable connection the whole day with no issues.

To anyone having a similar problem to me I'd recommend looking at the modem first. Our problems at home looked to be entirely caused by the Hub4, I would avoid getting one if you have a choice in the matter. I am still very cross that they launched this model without self-diagnosis tools. It is very obvious they pushed them out too soon and the problems we suffered are evidence of that. 

0 Kudos