Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet going down everyday

My internet keeps going down every evening from about 6pm onwards nearly everyday. I use internet at all times as I only use Netflix or youtube, dont have TV. I try to watch something or use the internet and it goes down, most of time it is about 30 minutes average. Everytime i call up and it is fine for the night but next day same problem. Status always says theres nothing wrong in my area (Cheltenham) but Im tired of having to either sit and wait for the box to stop flashing green lights at me or spend ages on the phone everyday. Im writing this now after this is 3rd time its happened in the last 4 hours today.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet going down everyday

Could be a few things - too many subscribers accessing the system in your "area" at peak times is one possibility - but there are others. What Hub is it and which lights are flashing green? Do you lose connection on both wifi and ethernet connected devices?

If so, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the logs and in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mine has started doing this every morning. No one else in the house using it but me. Today was the final straw, as it dropped me out of an important work call, as I make work calls over the internet using my laptop. I am seriously thinking about changing my provider now. I have just had my hub replaced so it isn't that - the service is just not very good anymore.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carolyn-A

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that you've still been having issues with your broadband connection after we've installed a new hub for you.

Can you please set up a BQM so we can take a closer look at this?

If we can still see that there are clear issues with the connection, we'll seek to take this to PM to run further diagnostics and possibly book a follow up engineer

Thank you

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I’ve downloaded your BQM but which is giving me slower speeds that what I should be guaranteed. As well to this I have completed a speed test on, several different devices all of which are showing me a lot lower speeds to what your BQM is showing. My internet seems to go to about 150 (I’m paying for the 512mbps) and then I’ll test straight after it’s down at 40mb. The speeds are constantly varying and are never high or even at the guaranteed speeds for more than 10 seconds. I’m a new member and have only had everything installed 1 week ago but im alright having issues with the speeds which is the one big thing I was warned about. They are not up to scratch at all, and the automated phone line is no help at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to test speeds directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.
If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos