cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops multiple times a day

Onevision
On our wavelength

I began using Virgin (1gbps hub4) at my new property 2 months ago. Two weeks in we began getting issues where the internet would die (ethernet and WiFi) and the only way to fix it would be to reset the hub.

This has happened constantly ever since, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. We have had three engineer visits and they have tested the connection and replaced the wire from the house to the street but it continues to happen. Our neighbours are suffering from the exact same issue and all of us lose internet at the same time. Despite mutliple complaints virgin continue to tell me that the connection looks good and they don't know what the issue is. The first engineer told me that there is a known issue where network instability can cause hub4 customers to lose connection (my neighbours have hub4 also) and that it was being worked on but I never heard any more and customer services tell me that there are no area issues.

I have even tried using hub 4 in modem mode with my own router but the same issues continue to happen. Has anyone had this happen to them before or had any luck getting it fixed? I have tried all of the usual fixes and the engineers have tried everything including replacing the wire to the street.

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks for your help here John, I will give that a go tomorrow night. It's definitely worth exhausting all possibilities.

This has been going on daily since late May now, I started just WiFi only via the hub4, then added ethernet a few days later with no improvement and then got the new router 4 days ago with no luck. It's also strange it's happening to my neighbour.

The first tech messaged me after his visit saying "Have just found out that because you both have hub fours if our network has any fluctuations you will lose connection before hub 3 customers. Nothing wrong with the hubs its our network. .....working on it " but when I have tried to follow up on it noone else knew and the subsequent 2 engineers weren't aware.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any updates ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No drop outs overnight or all day today which has only happened a couple of times in the last 5 weeks. I got a text from Virgin to day that essential works are due to be carried out in the area next week to "improve our services" so hopefully that will sort things out.

Engineer visit is tomorrow morning and I have unplugged all Ethernet cables as per your previous message now for overnight. The BQM looks a lot more stable today than yesterday.

I will update after the engineer has left tomorrow. It's positive that area work is being carried out though.

Quick update. Engineer visited and he seemed more experienced than the previous ones. Took one look at it and confirmed a network issue as apparently a huge number of customers are getting served from one cabinet in this area causing stability issues. Work is planned for the 14th to address this and then hopefully we will be back to normal.

BQM has improved significantly from the first day (even before unplugging ethernets) so hopefully we are near the end of the issues.