Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Internet dropping out

I'm in Area 31 and for the last week/ten days I've been getting sporadic drops in internet that last a few minutes at a time. It starts mid-morning and stops by mid-afternoon. Cuts out wifi and ethernet linked devices. I've restarted hub, run diagnostics on the website and inside the hub and it says all OK.

It strikes me that a lot of people are complaining about the same issue. Is this something VM are aware of as problem for many customers? Could somebody please advise what's the best way to send VM a message or speak with an engineer - thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet dropping out

This is a community help forum - if you want help direct from VM - post up details of your issues and equipment and see what folks think about your connections.

If you just want to speak to VM - phone in (they are still picking up), or use, chat, text or twittbook.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did want help direct from VM, I want to know if they're aware of customers having issues with internet provision dropping out for a few minutes at a time in the middle part of the day. I'm on hold to them at the moment to ask if an engineer can try some diagnostics on my hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Posting some stats from the hub to here might help with the diagnosis as well.

Post the network, upstream and downstream logs

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just got off the phone with VM, they told me there is a local supply issue - but nothing that shows up on the status check - and engineers are aware. They also said they'd optimise my connection - is this just changing the channel? - but I can't see any difference in speed after the hub reset and I've had another one-minute long dropout.

Is there anyone here from VM that can give me more info on this problem and why it doesn't show on the status update page?

Frankly I'd rather not go through the hassle of posting stats and resetting the hub to factory if the problem is outside my house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Status is now showing a yellow issue 'engineers aware' after running the online check.

Listed as 'interference on our network'. Would be grateful if anyone could suggest what that might be and prognosis for how long it might take to resolve - though I recognize there's a degree of how long a piece of string in all this.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No you would need to wait for the status to get updated.

There should be an estiamted fix date and time on there.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Service improved over the weekend and then today I've had the same problem - multiple dropouts and slow reconnects every few minutes.

So many people complain of very similar issues it's tempting to think there's a VM hardware problem somewhere, (and they did show a yellow report on status check saying there was inteference in my area, now no longer showing). However, I'm conscious this is just me linking things and it could be a problem specific to my kit/house, so trying to keep an open mind.

Spoke with them again an hour ago and they want to send me a new hub to test.

Is there anyone from the VM team who can confirm whether this will be a hub 4 or not? I'm using a two-year old hub 3 at present. I know VM have been sending them out to some customers on slower packages - I'm on 100Mb.

Cheers - and thanks to the gurus who take the time to comment on here, appreciated.

0 Kudos