cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping connection

LukeMcpherson88
Joining in

Our broadband drops out very regularly, a few times an hour for a few minutes (sometimes longer if the hub reboots itself). 

After two engineer visits, a new hub and new cabling, the situation is no better. This has been an issue for 2 months. If I manage to speak to someone I am told that there is no issue on ‘their end’ and the virgin broadband test online is infuriating. 

Following advice I have set up a thinkbroadband network monitoring app which over the last week shows constant ‘dropped packets’ and constant spikes of ‘high latency’. As a lay person I have no idea what this means but am told it can cause dropped connections. 

Can anyone advice of a possible solution?

thanks

Luke

105 REPLIES 105

We’ll I’m not frequently using a LAN connection so not sure. But the wifi signal is strong. But around 5 times today the internet disconnects, the Hub SSID vanishes from wifi list and then a few minutes later reconnects with internet. 

Sorry to hear this @virgisimbieski, how has the service been over the weekend?

Have you set you a Broadband Quality Monitor so we're able to see when and how frequently the connection drops on you?

This would be most handy for us as it'll give us a better idea of how the service is currently performing

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor 

Here is a post from the Quality Monitor for Monday (yesterday), you can see the connection dropout. Hope this helps.   Let me know next steps. 

I've also had an additional 4 drop outs this morning. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cc308449767243987f9adddc4fe8640cb9766d6d

Please help, I stayed on hold with chat support for 1 and a half hours at the weekend. 😞 

Frustrating wait for no supportFrustrating wait for no support

Hi virgisimbieski,

I'm sorry to hear you've not been receiving your expected speeds and have been experiencing connection drops. I can appreciate this must be getting quite frustrating.

I've been able to locate your account and can see that there are some signal issues which will require an engineer's visit to put right.

I'm going to pop you over a PM now so I can arrange this with you.

Please find my message from the purple envelope 🙂

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth / Virgin Team, I had an engineer came out who put some hardware on my router to bring down the down stream. He was confident this would prevent the connection drop outs but I am still getting many every day. 

What's next? 

I'd like to get a refund on this month's broadband cost please as I've been having to tether from my mobile data connection for my daily work. 

Thanks

Here was yesterday, as you can see it's not pretty. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1102495d37eefaca739e6608c2f3ecbff6... 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update @virgisimbieski

How have things been since posting? Has the hardware the engineer put on the router help to resolve the drops in connection? 

Have you raised a formal complaint in regard to your experience so we can review this for you? 

If not, please let us know and we'll happily get this raised. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Sofia, 

Unfortunately the drops in connection are happening just as much as ever. 5 times a day, despite the engineer visit. It's been 4 weeks now so I really don't want to be paying for this months bill anymore. 

Yes could you please raise a complaint for me, I tried to do so through chat support on the Virgin Media app, but I gave up waiting after 2 hours. 

The support on this forum is actually really good, but really it's hugely disappointing that when Virgin are not delivering a service I'm paying for, that I cannot call someone to get an immediate response. 

Thanks,

Simon

Hi virgisimbieski,

Thank you for keeping us posted. We can certainly get a complaint raised for you.

What I will do is private message you so we can look into this further. 

^Martin

So after having an engineer appointment booked for this morning between 8-12 and having taking this time off work so that I could stay at home, the engineer decided to not turn up and not call me to tell me this.

I'd like to by compensated for this, could you please raise an additional complaint on my account?

Also, please can you book in a new engineer appointment as soon as possible.

Really this service goes from bad to worse. I'd like to know at what point I can leave my contract with Virgin without charge?