Menu
JojoBurns
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet doesn’t work in conservatory

Hi

we moved to virgin from sky over a year a go. We have a PlayStation in there and my work computer and the internet is terrible.

The PlayStation when playing games with friends glitches out and other users can not here. And with the work computer it loses remote connection.

I would appreciate advise as this has been going on for 6 months and not getting anywhere with Vodafone 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet doesn’t work in conservatory

@JojoBurns wrote:

Hi

we moved to virgin from sky over a year a go. We have a PlayStation in there and my work computer and the internet is terrible.

The PlayStation when playing games with friends glitches out and other users can not here. And with the work computer it loses remote connection.

I would appreciate advise as this has been going on for 6 months and not getting anywhere with Vodafone 

depends - wifi signals can struggle to penetrate glass that has been treated in any way (e.g. pilkington) and the hub is not a great wifi router.. are you able to run a cable to the consevatory and use that for the PlayStation / laptop? 

it might be that a better quality router can provide a better service, but if the glass is an issue then the wifi signal will probably still struggle.. you may want to consider running the cable and putting an access point *in* the conservatory 

0 Kudos
JojoBurns
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There is no glass it’s all open plan we have a cable that runs to your Virgin box that you installed in the conservatory too when we moved from sky to you. 

we have the main box in living room and then an extra box with cable running from living room to conservatory 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JojoBurns wrote:

There is no glass it’s all open plan we have a cable that runs to your Virgin box that you installed in the conservatory too when we moved from sky to you. 

we have the main box in living room and then an extra box with cable running from living room to conservatory 

to be clear, I don't work for virgin - just another customer..

when you say another cable, i assume you mean another coax cable to connect up another Tivo / V6 box to use in the conservatory?  

If there's no glass in the way, then it's likely that the wireless signal just isn't strong enough to get from wherever the broadband hub is to the conservatory.. it doesn't really change anything - glass or not - your options are somewhat limited.. if you want decent wifi in the conservatory then you'll either have to relocate the hub there (you could disconnect the Tivo box and connect the hub to that coax cable) or consider investing in your own wifi router/mesh system that gives you a better signal in there.  

0 Kudos
JojoBurns
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apologies Lon

We have the main router connected in the livingroom next to the tv then another white cable running all runs the walls to the conservatory to link to the box that out there.  

if that makes sense lol 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

no apologies necessary 😛 

it *might* work if you put the hub at the end of the white cable that runs from the front room to the conservatory, however, if it does then you'll probably find that you have wifi issues back in the front room..

the length of the cable also has an impact on power levels etc.. so if everything has been balanced based on a short cable run from the entry point at the front of your house then it may not work on the longer cable - would need others who know more about this than i do to comment really..

if you don't want to relocate it and/or it doesn't work when you connect it to the other coax connection, then you're really left with the option of buying your own, better, router or mesh system. 

0 Kudos