Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Internet cuts out same time every night

Every night without fail my internet cuts out at some point between 12am and 2am. For a “totally unlimited broadband” there seems to be plenty of limits not just in the case of what seems like scheduled downtime. But also very very poor Wi-Fi reception (doesn’t even reach the livingroom 10 feet from the router) and doesn’t provide the speeds advertised. I’m on the 350 package and can’t scrape more than 50mbps on a good day. Totally not on Virgin. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet cuts out same time every night

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to test it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.
If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

Report back what that gets.

If your speeds are ok then, you could get wifi "boosters" from VM but TBH they are not that good - particularlrly if you have to pay the £3/mo for them. Your wifi problem is best solved by then getting your own wireless equipment - that will solve all the wifi issues once and for all, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move.

Either.....

1) Mesh System
2) Wireless router
3) Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements, house layout/construction and of course, budget. £40 will get a decent introductory wireless router and £400 will get the Rolls Royce solution of an Ubiquiti Unifi Mesh system. You'll want something in that range.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos