cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cuts off for hours

hookroad_280a
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I'm very disappointed with my new 200mbps broadband installed on the 26th March 2021, less than a week ago.

It worked fantastic for 2 days, speeds topping 200mbps. Was happy with wifi range in all the place I use wifi.

Sadly only 3 days later it cut off completely. TV was ok, phone and broad band dead. Green solid light at the bottom, green solid wifi light and flashing green arrows. Tried the usual reset. I did not reset using the little hole however. No internet for 2 days.

Made an appointment for 1st of May, but it fixed itself a few hours before appointment, so I cancelled.

Sadly the same day it stopped working. Came back on the next day, which is today, and now off again a few hours later. It's still off. Have another appointment on the 4th of may.

My sister next door also has virgin, her internet in fine.

Anything I can do?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Post a link to the live graph - It gets visible quicker than images!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Best way I can explain SNR is

Trying to talk to someone in a crowded noisy room.

That is the 'Signal' - the others chattering is noise.

When the ratio of signal to noise gets too low ie. the background chatter gets louder in relation to the conversation you are trying to have; the conversation gets more difficult and you may well miss words (packets in networking terms)

Sometimes if the noise gets too much you may find yourself wanting to 'move' your conversation to a different part of the room to be heard (re-syncing channels)

Damaged, bent and degraded cables can, indeed, lead to SNR problems!

Hope this helps!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

62 REPLIES 62

lotharmat
Community elder
Can you post your Hub status and logs?
Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Self install or manned install?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

thanks for the reply gary

engineer came over. few days before line was tested, it was dead and reconnected at the box by another engineer.

the engineer set everything up himself and it was fine for 2 days. I did not change anything much, enabled guest wifi and added a fixed ip for my printer.

thanks for the reply lotharmat. im afriad i tried to reset the unit with the little reset switch before I saw your message.

01/01/1970 00:39:19

critical

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:39:17

Warning!

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:33:44

critical

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:33:10

critical

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:31:54

critical

01/01/1970 00:28:1

Warning!

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:22:33

critical

01/01/1970 00:22:30

Warning!

01/01/1970 00:16:57

critical

01/01/1970 00:16:54

Warning!

01/01/1970 00:12:16

critical

01/01/1970 00:12:13

Warning!

01/01/1970 00:12:0

critical

01/01/1970 00:11:20

notice

LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

01/01/1970 00:06:21

critical

01/01/1970 00:06:19

Warning!

02/05/2021 18:58:1

critical

02/05/2021 18:57:28

critical

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

02/05/2021 18:56:35

critical

02/05/2021 18:56:33

Warning!

also i forgot to mention they were try to port my old number phone number over, i initially was not worried about the outage thinking it was something to do with that. but i think this is too many days.

still not back on

ok they came. immediately he could see the 'levels' were not good. he went to big green box and did something. he said the levels were still not good. he installed a booster and said everything will be okay now.

How's it looking?

looks great. shame the first engineer did not perform the same test before he left. all the guy did was look at something on his phone and he could see the levels, he did not even touch any of the equipment. although it was ok for 2 days. he did say someone must have moved something in the green box.