Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Internet connectivity repeatedly lost for some or all devices

Hi

We have several devices connected to the Hub. Every day at present one or more of these devices will lose their internet connectivity, occasionally all of them. We are having to switch the Hub off and on numerous times a week, sometimes several times a day. It can take two resets, lasting 15 - 20 minutes in total, to regain connectivity. This has been going on for many weeks now and appears to be a problem with the Hub, rather than anything else.

I do not want to go through the pain of calling the helpline or attempting any highly technical config changes to the router and networks.

I tried to use a previous thread where someone else had the same issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/wifi-connected-but-no-internet/m-p/4131104#...

Please could an engineer visit be arranged?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connectivity repeatedly lost for some or all devices

Are you connecting with wifi or ethernet cable?

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi, basically allsorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable wifi router or Mesh system.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I do not want to go through the pain of calling the helpline or attempting any highly technical config changes to the router and networks.

Fair enough, nobody wants the pain and suffering to be endured by calling Virgin Media's third world technical support circus.  And similarly I understand you're not happy fiddling with technical settings.  But this is first and foremost a "community self help forum" so the first responders are unpaid, mostly VM customers with a bit of time on their hands (like me).  Are you prepared to help us try to help you, by looking up some data from your hub?  All you need to do is follow about five simple instructions, and then copy and paste some data into a reply here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes, of course, happy to give something simple a go!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo

I'm using Wifi. Been using Virgin for almost 8 years now and this particular hub for a few years without any issue.

But I note what you're saying. I might need to go down that route if I can't get this problem solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Firstly set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I've set up a BQM and will do the link etc. later on.

Does it matter that we're not experiencing the connectivity problem while doing the trending and the router status?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you have set the BQM to run continuously it will cover all the time that you are registered so you will be able to go back in your history and see good times and bad.

The important thing at the moment is the Hub stats

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Here's the link to the BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/16160b1dd6384b48801580cb97af88edc9...

We had the usual problem with lost connectivity just after 15:00.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You still need to post your Hub stats.

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos