cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection

DavidEvison
Joining in

I have a super hub 3 with a significant number of WiFi users, including V6 box iPads, iPhones, smart speakers, smart appliances etc and a windows PC.

i usually have no connectivity issues but in recent months the PC often (but not always)  fails to obtain a n internet connection. It connects to the WiFi ok but with the  flag “no internet” on the system tray network icon.  Reboot of the PC makes no difference and the only solution seems to be to right click and disconnect the PC WiFi and then reconnect.  It can take several attempts before it’s successful. Any suggestions will be gratefully received 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this

Are ethernet cable connected devices similarly affected at the same time - or is it just a wifi connection issue ?

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John for your suggestions.  I was hoping to avoid having to split the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs since that will (presumably) prevent my devices from dynamically switching between the two frequencies.

As I say, the PC wireless adapter connects to the LAN WIFi network with no issues, it’s simply that it’s not getting through to the WAN (internet)

General WiFi performance is ok, my iPad and iPad both get decent internet connectivity when I stand alongside the PC.

I have a network analyser app but it does not indicate which frequency each device is using so I cannot see whether the iPad/iPhone and PC are connected to the same frequency

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I am all Apple. All my devices have the 5GHz SSID as "top" of my Network Settings lists. My 2.4 SSID is second on all their lists.

If I roam about and go into say, the garden, they auto switch to the 2.4 band - and back again when I go inside to the stronger 5 GHz signal. Dont yours do that ?

To analyse SSID's on iOS you need to do this.....

Get Apple's Airport Utility for the iPhone. Then go ... Settings->Airport Utility scroll down and toggle "Wifi Scanner" to on (green). Then open the App and click on the Blue WiFi Scan icon at top right. then hit the blue “Scan” icon - when you are in the location of the affected device(s).

Data will flow in continuously updating, with the SSID’s showing with the "strongest" i.e. "best" signal at the top of the list - they have the highest RSSI values - and the channel numbers are also shown. Its not pretty - but it is functional and accurate

Only use channels 1,6,11 for the 2.4 GHz band - choose the best channel for your location (least congested ) and switch your SSID to that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John for your further suggestions.

i have installed the airport utility and as you suggested I can see the two frequencies (and all my neighbours!) and which channels are in use (6 &44).

Is your thinking that one of the frequencies or channels is failing to establish a connection to the WAN/internet and that’s why only one device (my PC) is affected, if it’s the only one on that frequency?

I still not clear if/how I can see which frequency each device is using unless I split the SSIDs but I wondered if I can see that information prior to splitting the SSIDs by logging on to the Superhub - will I be able to see which devices are connected to each frequency?

if I do proceed to split the SSIDs, I will need to log onto the superhub via WiFi since the only device with Ethernet is my PC which is in another room.  If I log on wirelessly using (say) my iPad, it will presumably be disconnected as soon as I split and rename the SSID.  Is it then just a case of logging in again using the new SSID?

many thanks for your patience, as you will see I’m no expert on networking!

David

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
2.4 GHz - Uses channels 1-12. In practice connecting on 1, 6 or 11 is best - see the pink sticky" posts at the top of this board for explanations as to why.

5GHz channel numbers are all much higher

Not sure if you can see which band each device is on - when ussing a single SSID - I have never ever had that set up. Perhaps someone else can help with that !

Just get yourself a 10/20/50 metre run of Cat5e cable to use to connect your PC on - just for testing purposes - trail it from the Hub over carpet, up stairs etc for the duration of the tests and changing Hub settings - then roll it up into your bits drawer until its needed again. It is far easier to do on a computer/laptop than on a tablet/phone.

But yes.. see this more detailed protocol

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------