cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection very unstable, constant ping spikes

Sibello
Joining in

I'm getting very frequent hitches in my connection across all devices. I never used to have any issues but in the past few months it's getting worse and worse.

I'm using a Hub 3 (i think) in modem mode connected to a wireless router. I do have my main PC connected via wifi, this has been fine in the part but now I'm getting what seems to be micro dropouts - noticable when I'm working with parsec. Online gaming is now unplayable - rocket league, counterstrike etc give me bad ping spikes like every 10s.

My setup hasn't changed. My router is wifi6 which should be fine.

I can provide diagnostic info if needed.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you still have the issues on devices connected on ethernet cables ?

Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sibello
Joining in

I havn't got anything thats noticable on other devices. Here is a link to my live graph:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3ed3c460fd413f9384f6078ddf17dabfad...

The big red bit at the start was likely me setting the firewall for it to work.

Sibello
Joining in

Sibello_0-1696429309431.png

There's a lot of spikes going on over the past day...
I use parsec to remote connect to my work PC everyday, it lags almost constantly. I also struggle with zoom calls.
Pretty unacceptable with how much I'm paying.

Sibello
Joining in

What is going on with my broadband? Is the problem external to my house? As in the connection to my hub3

My zoom calls looks like I'm using a dial up connection 😐

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sibello 👋

Thanks for the further updates on this. I'm sorry to hear, and see that the issue is ongoing. I've checked things on our end, but as your Hub is currently in Modem Mode, I'm limited on the diagnostics I can run.

I've taken a look at the incoming signal to your home and everything is within specification, and there are no faults identified in your area or on the local network.

Are you able to try running the Hub in Router Mode, to see if this improves the connection? It will also allow us to run further diagnostics to assist further, if you are continuing to experience issues.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece, ok I've put my hub 3 back in router mode now. Tried it out with my PC connected to the virgin router and my asus rounter, both still have the same issue.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Reece_MH wrote:

Are you able to try running the Hub in Router Mode, to see if this improves the connection? 

Because there is always tomorrow where latency problems don't happen  

---------------------------------------------------------------