Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection not working

• Hi,

I have been having problems with my Internet all day. We noticed that the Internet kept dropping out on all devices  wired and wireless so we rebooted the router. Router came back up and all devices connected but issue persisted.

I reset the router to factory (60s reset button hold) but still no luck.

Looking at the logs I am getting loads of logs of 'RCF Partial Sevice'. I have checked power, which is all fine. Have reseated both the power and the fibre cable to no avail and have even moved the router entirely to a different location with more space around it, in case of over heating.

I did see a sky van on my street today and I have read a community answer today where a virgin engineer had found that another engineer had affected the customers connection at the cab. Might be completely unrelated but thought it was worth mentioning.

Can't currently get in touch with Virgin Media via phone.

We both work from home so this is very urgent for us, can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection not working

Could you post the 'Downstream' and 'Upstream' tab data?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

SmartSelect_20200725-190429_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20200725-190420_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20200725-190437_Chrome.jpg

The logs have also changed to the above now, the home page also says 'Internet Access Denied' ...

Thank you so much for your quick response

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are you in SK10 area by any chance?

There has been a reported outage in another thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No, WF1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

On https://downdetector.co.uk/status/virgin-media/map/ there doesn't appear to be any reports of outages in that area.

You'll probably need to text VM on 07533051809, or wait for a VM staff member to reply to your thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi ElliotTrim1993,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your internet connection, I am sorry its frustrating you.
I just need to ask a few questions to get to the bottom of this for you - 
•    When the internet drops out, do all connections disconnect all the time? Or do some, maybe wired devices, stay connected?
•    When the internet drops out, do any indicator lights show on the HUB?
•    Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can visually see whats going on.
•    I also have a link here that I think are really helpful in this situation - intermittent connection issues
Let me know the answers to all these questions and follow the advice on that link to see if it helps 🙂
Thanks,
Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan_L

Thanks for getting back to me.

The connection actually became stable on Sunday morning and seems to have stayed that way since.

However, the router is still logging 'RCS Partial Service' and 'Sync timeout', but not as frequent it seems. The fibre connector on the router seems to get very hot, but I'm not sure if this is normal.

In answer to your questions in case this starts happening agan:

•    When the internet drops out, do all connections disconnect all the time? Or do some, maybe wired devices, stay connected? - It's all devices, wired and wireless
•    When the internet drops out, do any indicator lights show on the HUB? - Just the yellow power light
•    Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can visually see whats going on. - Not sure how to do this
•    I also have a link here that I think are really helpful in this situation - intermittent connection issues - I can't see a link in your reply?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your reply, I am overjoyed your connection has leveled out now since Sunday! However please don't think that's the end of our assistance as we will always be here if it does happen again. 

Sorry that my links did not come up on my previous post, they mustn't have gone through correctly but here they are for you - 

BMQ - click on the link and follow the instructions on the website, its a real easy way for us to see what your connection is doing and when! 🙂

connection help - this is a really useful link for when you're not sure what is going on, just follow the flows and it will help troubleshoot most problems.

Thanks Elliot!

Megan_L

0 Kudos