I have been having problems with my Internet all day. We noticed that the Internet kept dropping out on all devices wired and wireless so we rebooted the router. Router came back up and all devices connected but issue persisted.
I reset the router to factory (60s reset button hold) but still no luck.
Looking at the logs I am getting loads of logs of 'RCF Partial Sevice'. I have checked power, which is all fine. Have reseated both the power and the fibre cable to no avail and have even moved the router entirely to a different location with more space around it, in case of over heating.
I did see a sky van on my street today and I have read a community answer today where a virgin engineer had found that another engineer had affected the customers connection at the cab. Might be completely unrelated but thought it was worth mentioning.
Can't currently get in touch with Virgin Media via phone.
We both work from home so this is very urgent for us, can anyone help?
Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your internet connection, I am sorry its frustrating you.
I just need to ask a few questions to get to the bottom of this for you -
• When the internet drops out, do all connections disconnect all the time? Or do some, maybe wired devices, stay connected?
• When the internet drops out, do any indicator lights show on the HUB?
• Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can visually see whats going on.
• I also have a link here that I think are really helpful in this situation - intermittent connection issues
Let me know the answers to all these questions and follow the advice on that link to see if it helps 🙂
The connection actually became stable on Sunday morning and seems to have stayed that way since.
However, the router is still logging 'RCS Partial Service' and 'Sync timeout', but not as frequent it seems. The fibre connector on the router seems to get very hot, but I'm not sure if this is normal.
In answer to your questions in case this starts happening agan:
• When the internet drops out, do all connections disconnect all the time? Or do some, maybe wired devices, stay connected? - It's all devices, wired and wireless • When the internet drops out, do any indicator lights show on the HUB? - Just the yellow power light • Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can visually see whats going on. - Not sure how to do this • I also have a link here that I think are really helpful in this situation - intermittent connection issues - I can't see a link in your reply?
How to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) atthinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.
Post a link to your BQM on here.
Instructions for posting BQM Link
Under your BQM graph are two links in red.
Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.
Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.
On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)
In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.