Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection drops out

I've got a Hub 3.0 and on a regular basis I lose access to the internet over wifi. The wifi is still connected to my devices but speedtest just says there is no internet connection. However, my TV continues to work via hard wired connection and if I plug my laptop into the router I then get a signal.

Also, the wifi signal from the hub seems weak from downstairs next to there TV to upstairs where I have to use a wifi extender due to poor coverage. The extender is about 15ft away but is constantly saying there is a weak signal from the router.

Any assistance would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet connection drops out

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub, building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi basically allsorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable wifi router.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had thought of connecting a better router to the Hub but wasn't sure what to look for. Any suggestions for good models? I've only got small terraced house but the Hub  struggles to get a wifi signal out of the downstairs lounge!.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have one of >> THESE << and it covers all my house (250 year old farmhouse) with brick internal walls and thick stone external walls.

My lad has a router for gaming that cost several hundred pounds, like most things it is all about need and budget.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Much appreciated. I've found the setting where I can turn the Hub wifi off. I assume I just connect an ethernet cable into the new router from the Hub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

not quite, follow these instructions ...

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Do I need to set the Hub to turn wifi off as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It is a better option and will prevent wifi conflicts between the two, it is known as Modem Mode and once there it has its own IP Address of 192.168.100.1

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. Ordered the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MikeRobbo for the advice. New router  working great with excellent coverage throughout the  house.

0 Kudos