Menu
user2234223
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Internet Randomly Disconnects

Hi,

My wifi randomly just disconnects every hour or so. I have tried resetting and factory resetting and this didn't help. I also logged into the admin page of the wifi and ran a test and it said that wifi device connections are weak, but I was standing next to the router. I think the hub is broken and no matter how I try to contact virgin media I can't get through. I'm lost for options. If anyone knows how I can contact them that would be great.

Kind Regards

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Randomly Disconnects

Do ethernet connections also drop at the same time? If you dont know can you test it?

What Hub model is it and what are the various lights doing/showing when this happens

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have noticed this same report from multiple users. Its everything, ethernet, WiFi. 

I am on a street whatsapp group. Our whole street disconnects at the same time, atleast 2-5 times  day.

Clearly virgin is either compromised and getting attacked or they are doing something. How can we escalate, support lines say no issues they can see. Clearly there is a wider issue that needs someone to look in to that isn't working off a script?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that may not cover problems affecting a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they look at your connection. The UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

You can also text them on 07533 051809 include account name/number and what the issue is – replies usually take longer.

To get some evidence, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep, spoken to them, no issues thier end, told me to reset my router, which I have obviously tried. They ran updates. Still happening. And, as I say this isn't just me, its the whole street. And based on the forum, clearly more than just a street. 

Can you escalate...? Faceless organisations are terrible. 

Also... they have English call centres? Never spoken to anyone English? Only when I tried to cancel...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I suggest you call to cancel again unless they can give you an explanation. Offshore will be useless for that.

The BQM will provide the hard proof as to what's going on - VM actually do use them themselves to help diagnose issues. If the whole street is suffering it "might" be over-utilisation - in which case you are all deeply in the guano. BQM will be useful for that too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
tommyc8020
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Isn't it odd that there are a lot of reports though? So not contained to just my area?

0 Kudos