Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Internet Keeps Dropping!

Hi

Hoping someone can help me as I'm pulling my hair out with my broadband!

For the past 3 days the internet connection seems to drop out from about 2pm for hours on end. I can connect wirelessly to the router from different devices but none can access any web pages etc. Have a white solid light on my Hub 3 as expected. Have restarted and reset the hub countless times but still no joy!

Called the call centre and they took me through the whole reset, reboot process but still the same. They were supposed to call back today but didn't and now they're closed due to COVID19. 

I need the internet to enable me to work from home and I'm not getting anywhere! 

Please can someone help?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping!

Hi,

check that all the cables are tight on the back of the hub, check there is not other connectors there like a small metal box that has attenuator on it, if there is remove it, trace the cable back from the hub to the entry point and check no damage is on the cable and all other connections are as tight as possible, if it persists you will have to use live chat to book a visit from a service tech.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi,

ive private messaged you regarding the issue

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked whether you can still connect to the Net on an ethernet cabled connected device? If not - try it. If it connects, then you have a wifi interference problem.

If not, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

I don't have a device that I can plug an ethernet cable into I'm afraid. I wanted to try that yesterday but my laptop doesn't have an ethernet slot. 

Thanks for the tip re the monitoring. Just set up a log now. Couldn't find a tick box regarding "ignore ping from WAN side" though. 

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi again John

Just realised you meant the tick box was on the Hub's settings and to untick if the BQM shows all red. 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Dan

It is well worth getting a USB to ethernet adaptor, most are less than £20 from the usual outlets But be aware, they do vary in speed.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just ordered. 

Cheers Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Had a nightmare again today with strength dropping around 2pm. Below is the BQM graph from today.

Do you think it's just due to too much traffic around peak time? If so, is there anything we can do about it?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6e5a2effb73b1e2ca219289307b29a401a...

Thanks
Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

This is happening every day and it's making it impossible to work.

Thanks

0 Kudos